auto login on desktop - domain only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto login on desktop - domain only

I want to pick your brains on this subject. Our computers are one user only. We don't have any multi-user machines.

I want the computer to automatically log into the user's setting, as the user, but stay locked until they log in.

It takes a few minutes to startup then they sit and wait for the login, then they login and takes a few more minutes. I want them to turn on their computer then come back and login and the computer be ready.

The computers aren't the fastest, and I have them running lean and mean, but it's a bit irritating. Anyone with me?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: auto login on desktop - domain only

Originally posted by crobertson View Post
    I want to pick your brains on this subject. Our computers are one user only. We don't have any multi-user machines.

I want the computer to automatically log into the user's setting, as the user, but stay locked until they log in.

It takes a few minutes to startup then they sit and wait for the login, then they login and takes a few more minutes. I want them to turn on their computer then come back and login and the computer be ready.

The computers aren't the fastest, and I have them running lean and mean, but it's a bit irritating. Anyone with me?
    How about set the workstations to autologin, but have a login script that locks the computer? You may have to set a timer for that script because I'm not sure if locking the screen will work immediately after logging in.

The real trick would be to set up the computer to autologin as a domain account rather than a local account. That may very well involve some registry hacking. Check out this thread. It's not exactly your specific scenario, but you could probably glean some good info out of it. Make sure to save the settings of the registry keys before you change them so that you can stick them back in after you've forgotten how you did this project. Scripts and batch files are your friend (usually).
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Working...
    X