Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 0x2 DHCP option

Hello All,
    I would like to ask you if the DHCP server has scopes configures as 0x2.
    What happens if there is no more WINS server, will the computer fail back to DNS or will it use DNS first [Windows XP and 2000 machines].

Thank you in advance.

Re: 0x2 DHCP option

If you have a DNS implementation, there is really no need for WINS...unless you are supporting legacy OSes. I believe that Microsoft always uses DNS first, followed by WINS...if configured.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Re: 0x2 DHCP option

Originally posted by boondock View Post
      If you have a DNS implementation, there is really no need for WINS...unless you are supporting legacy OSes. I believe that Microsoft always uses DNS first, followed by WINS...if configured.
      In theory that should be the case but in reality some applications still require WINS to function properly. SMS server, Exchange server 2000 and 2003 , SQL 2000 to name a few.

If you don't specify a WINS server then applications that use Netbios will depend on Broadcasting and LMHosts file to resolve netbios names. So you'll get more congestion on the LAN (Netbios broadcasts, which are not routable) but les WAN trafic generated by WINS queries.

I believe in Win 2008 server version of the DNS you can create Global zones if I am not wrong, thus eliminating the need for a WINS alltogether (About time).

Ta
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
      X