Simple 2003 Setup - Newb :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simple 2003 Setup - Newb :)

Okay...so to start I have one server...it has 2003 R2 on it with 2 NICs. I have a Domain, DNS, File Share, and Terminal Service setup on it. First off I only have one of my NIC plugged in and setup because I want to set it up for VPN and therefore its not up until I am ready to do that, well I am ready. I have DSL with a router and a switch.

I have tried to set it up from what I know...not much. I can get one or the other to work, either the local network goes down or the vpn wont work. I can not get both to work. I have my router (linksys RVL200) doing the DHCP as of now because it makes more sense to me. What should my setup be on my NICs?

From what I hear to do a vpn I need to have my NICs on two different subnets...what else do I need...if i just run the wizard my clients can not get on the server, but i can get on via vpn. Any help and direction would be great.

Daniel

Re: Simple 2003 Setup - Newb

Is this a VPN for Windows clients? If so you can just use one NIC as you have a router.

You also really should be using Windows for DHCP. What DNS servers is this Linksys router giving out?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

The vpn is for windows clients...okay so I will stick to one NIC...should i just keep it setup how i have it right now?

ex NIC setup of what I have right now

IP: 192.168.1.100
      sub net : 255.255.255.0
      Def gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.100

I am switching over to windows DHCP soon, as in tomorrow, and my router is calling out 192.168.1.100 (from example) as my DNS server.

Comment

DHCP looks correct then. I guess as long as its configured to tell clients to talk to the correct DNS servers then the routers DHCP Server services are fine.

Are you using PPTP? The router will need ports 47 (GRE) and 1723 (PPTP) forwarding to the server if so.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

I missed port 47...I will open that one up and see if i can get it to work...any ideas on why when i enable my vpn/remote access that it disables my clients being able to connect to the network? They can still log onto the domain but then they can not get on internet or shared folders.

Comment

I don't quite understand the question.

Your saying that when you connect remotly via the VPN users on the internal LAN can no longer access files on the server?

Comment

No when i run the wizard for the vpn to be setup then my local users can not acess the server anymore for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by dlubs View Post
                I missed port 47...I will open that one up and see if i can get it to work...
                Actually, it's not port 47 that needs to be opened, but rather an allowance for IP protocol 47.

Also, I'd like to note that having a multi-homed server (more than one NIC per server) act as a domain controller using anything other than SBS can be rather quirky. Avoid doing that.

I use RRAS for a PPTP VPN on a server with one NIC with no problems, so there's no necessity for a second NIC in your scenario (that I can see, anyway...).
                Wesley David
                LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                -------------------------------
                Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
                Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
                Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Wow I never knew that. The odd thing is though, we couldn't get our VPN to work correctly. After opening port 47 the issue was resolved. I guess I need to test my setup again. I've read that some routers will automatically transfer protocol 47 traffic to any PPTP VPN you have configured in on your NAT router.

I don't see why users cannot connect. Can you tell us what options you are choosing in the Wizard?
                  Last edited by ]SK[; 28th July 2008, 14:30.

Comment

I am using the VPN/NAT setup bullit and then selecting my LAN card because it is the only one...do I enable the firewall or not? Then I select to statically use adresses and assign them...should i just leave it up the DHCP once i get it setup on windows? Those are all the options I am given.

Comment

Your doing this from Routing and Remote access correct?

When I right click on the computer name and select "Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access". In here I select "Custom Configuration" and then only select "VPN".

It's easier yes to use DHCP on the server as Routing and Remote access will allocate IP's from here. Otherwise yes you need to specify IP's for clients.
                      Last edited by ]SK[; 28th July 2008, 16:58.

Comment

Okay...with a little tweaking I got it up and running...one problem though, I have on client who is at home and he says it is slow as crap...any way to help speed up?

Comment

What type of internet connection are you using? What is your client using for internet connection?
                          MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

Working...
                          X