Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Administrator Password

Hi Guys,
    The administrator in my company is leaving.
    So I want to change the Admin password.
    We are using Windows Server 2003 Std. Edition as a domain controller/Active Directory.
    How can I achieve this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Re: Change Administrator Password

Originally posted by tom haskell View Post
    Hi Guys,
    The administrator in my company is leaving.
    So I want to change the Admin password.
    We are using Windows Server 2003 Std. Edition as a domain controller/Active Directory.
    How can I achieve this?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Right click the administrator account and select reset password.

Please note though that you will need to change any services that require that password to be changed also.

Comment

Hi wullieb1,
      Please note though that you will need to change any services that require that password to be changed also
      What does that mean?

Is there a list of precautions I need to take care of before I change the password?

I will test it in the lab first and then use it in the working environment. But please suggest me coz there might be some invisible stuffs that I need to be careful of.

Thanks
      Tom

Comment

Hi wullieb1,

What does that mean?

Is there a list of precautions I need to take care of before I change the password?

I will test it in the lab first and then use it in the working environment. But please suggest me coz there might be some invisible stuffs that I need to be careful of.

Thanks
        Tom
        It means that you will need to check which services use the administrator account to log on with.

There may also be other things that need to administrator password uses so YOU need to do some leg work as we can't do it for you.

Comment

What does that mean?

Hi Tom...

As I can see you don't have much experience in administrating W2k3 servers. Correct me if I'm wrong... Changing passwords is considered as every day job for administrators.
          The best way for you is to hire some professional to do the job for you. Doing something you are not sure what you are doing can cause serious damage! For example stopping some production role in your inviroment.

When you change admin password, you need to also change the password everywhere that you use admin account... for example... services, scheduled tasks, IIS pools, backup procedures... etc

Best regards

Comment

If the system was setup properly then really there shouldn't be any services using the administrator account.
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
              If the system was setup properly then really there shouldn't be any services using the administrator account.
              Yep but i've seen systems that are supposedly set up properly then you reset the account and voila something breaks.

Comment

Oh yes. I have seen plenty of these.
                Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

there r two ways to change the password

one -- go to start menu then run
                  cmd
                  net user administrator "password" /domain

&

another way is
                  go to start menu
                  program
                  then active directory users & computers
                  go to user option
                  right click on administrator
                  reset it

its will give u true result

Comment

I recently fell foul of this. I use my own account to authenticate anti-virus updates. Each client logs onto the AV server using my credentials. A few weeks ago none of the clients were able to update. After a few minutes on the phone to my AV support, I was asked if the account had been changed - I had changed my password and had forgotten to change the password used in the AV options also.

Very embarrassing

You really will have to scour your systems and determine how everything runs. Anything that depends on the Administrator account for authentication will stop working unless you change the password in *all* locations.

Good luck.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                    X