Relocating 2003 Domain Controllers and DHCP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating 2003 Domain Controllers and DHCP

Our business needs to prepare a final move from an old location (A) to a new location (B)

Current setup location A:
    - Win2k3 Srv DC1: GC, DNS, DHCP and WINS running
    - Win2k3 Srv DC2: GC, DNS, WINS
    - ISA Srv 2000 (DMZ at location A)
    - WAN connectivity to location B still runs through location A
    - VPN connectivity to both A and B

As for ISA, we don't have to change the local IP on this, since the exact same DMZ will be created at location B, but feel free to comment if you foresee problems.

To accomplish less frustration to approx 400 users the final move is planned during a weekend, we can:
    1A) Move DC1 to location B a few days prior of DC2
    2A) Make location A the default gateway, have B connect to new MPLS cloud and disconnect A afterwards

or ...

1B) Prep a new DHCP at location B with different scope in order to continue the existing services

Thoughts and ideas please....
    Last edited by somniumus; 27th July 2008, 18:10.

Re: Relocating 2003 Domain Controllers and DHCP

If there's VPN connectivity betwen each site can you not move DC2 to location B, configure sites and services to reflect these changes? The only thing different would be the need to change the IP range in use.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Sorry, I'd to correct something in my first post...

DHCP is run only by DC1 and not DC2
      Last edited by somniumus; 27th July 2008, 17:51.

Comment

I've lost track of the topic now since you edited it. Have you put my suggestion in there as an option?
        I really can't see any other way of getting around the issue if your trying to migrate slowly and keep services alive for users.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
        X