No announcement yet.

Routing and remote access issue

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing and remote access issue

Hi all,

First of all, great site. I've been coming here for a while, and the site has been very useful to me and has saved my butt more than in one occasion.

Now this isn't a work related issue, but it's quiet annoying and I would like to see it solved.

Here is my problem:

For the past few years I've been using a router to allow access to several computers in my internal network.
    I host a few websites and I was able to access them using the remote address.
    ie: lets say I would host, and the server would be in the same ip range as I am, with an internal address, I was able to access it using the public dns name.

Now my router died. and I had to act to keep those websites available.

I placed a w2k3 server with 2 NIC's and configured it to use Routing and Remote Access.
    All fair and well. Hurray, people over the world can access the sites I host, and everyone in my internal network is happy because they can access the internet again.

Now you might ask, so, what is your problem?
    Well...... now when I try to access one of the websites by typing in the public domain name (since I used as an example I'll just stick to it) and I type: on my internal network, I get the message: unable to connect in firefox and IE cannot display the webpage. Time out errors or website is down (all sorts of messages)

In routing and remote access I've set it in NAT / Basic Firewall to allow access from the internet to port 80, and to a certain server within my internal network. This means that the pages are visible for the public, I've tested it from a remote location and it works.
    Now I want to be able to use the same functionality I used to have with my router, and be able to access that server using the public domain name. So if I type: it shows me the page. I don't want to use the private IP or hostname.

Is there a way I can achieve this with Routing and Remote Access? If so, can someone lay out how I can accomplish this?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Jorge Valencia