Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DUN compatible with the ADSL service ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DUN compatible with the ADSL service ??

G'Day all,

Do you know if the DUN (Dial-up Networking) is compatible with the ADSL (asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line) ?

If any information made available, will be appreciated.

Regards

Anshu Daksh

Re: Is DUN compatible with the ADSL service ??

Don't know. Where are you talking about?
    What is your goal?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Okay the scenario is like this.

I received a call from a friend. Who has an ADSL service with leading tel co provider. How ever he also uses the same Telephone line to connect to his work server via DUN.

He just unhooks his Tel. cable from the ADSL modem and plugs into the Dial-up modem and dial out to hook up with the work server.

Now my knowledge tells me the Dial-up/ISDN connection uses 0-4 Khz frequency on the tel. line. And ADSL uses the 17 Khz-110 Khz frequency for the data transfer.

Do you think could it be a possibility, the ADSL service could be possibly interfering into his Dial-Up networking (DUN). I have no experience in DUN, so I thought may be some one has knowledge on this subject.

Regards

Anshu

Comment

Does he actually have any problems doing this?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

From my understanding he wants to use both the ADSL and DUN on the same line???

If thats the case then yes he can do it. Its the same prinicipal as using a phone whilst surfing the net with ADSL.

Comment

As with any other DSL (as far as I know) you will need to put a low-pass filter (provided by most DSL providers) in the modem port on the server before plugging the phone line in. The low-pass filter passes the low frequency POTS signal and filters the high frequency DSL signal so that it does not interfere with the POTS signal.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
              As with any other DSL (as far as I know) you will need to put a low-pass filter (provided by most DSL providers) in the modem port on the server before plugging the phone line in. The low-pass filter passes the low frequency POTS signal and filters the high frequency DSL signal so that it does not interfere with the POTS signal.
              No the filter should go on the users line and not the server line.

My understanding is that the user has the ADSL connection on his line.

BTW you do not need to disconnect the ADSL connection IF you have a filter installed, which i'm presuming he has as all the documentation i received from mine asked me to install one.

Comment

I beg to differ. DSL service is delivered to a house and is "active" on all phone jacks in the house. The DSL provider will normally provide several low-pass filters for the phones in the house. The phone line going from the phone jack in the wall to the DSL modem is a plain old phone cord, if he wants to unplug the phone line (cord) from the DSL modem and plug it into the computer modem then he wants to have a low-pass filter plugged into the computer modem. Then when he makes the switch, he pulls the phone line (cord) out of the DSL modem and plugs it into the low-pass filter that's plugged into the computer modem.

Comment

Joe, I'm not disputing that you need a filter on the line but i am disputing that he needs it on the server line.

From the info given the user has the server connected in an office and he dials into this server from home.

This user has the ADSL conenction on his home line hence the reason i posted that he needs to put the filter on his home connection and not on his server connection.

If i have picked up the OP incorrectly then my apologies but thats the way that i read it.

Comment

Oops. Big mistake on my part. I said server when I meant computer. Wullieb1 of course you are right, he doesn't need anything on the server. He needs a filter on the computer. My apologies for any confusion and for mis-stating what I meant.

Comment

Oops. Big mistake on my part. I said server when I meant computer. Wullieb1 of course you are right, he doesn't need anything on the server. He needs a filter on the computer. My apologies for any confusion and for mis-stating what I meant.
                      I thought i was going mad for a minute there lol.

No apologies needed.

Comment

You were spot on regarding this post, but I didn't say that you weren't going mad. LOL

Comment

Thank you very much guys, I pretty much have same views on this issue. Though this forum helped me clear my doubts about the DUN and ADSL.

So I consider that DUN is compatible with the ADSL.

Regards,

Anshu

Comment

Working...
                          X