Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to configure the ICS without changing my IP addressing scheme

G'day All,

This is my first post in this forum. Recently I manged to configure my ICS on my USB modem. Now once I configure my ICS, it automatically sets my NIC IP as 192.168.0.1. Therefore, I have to go though entire wrig-morrale of changing my DHCP configuration and other AD settings. Is there any work around to this problem. Any information given will be appreciated.

Regards,

Anshu Daksh

Re: How to configure the ICS without changing my IP addressing scheme

Easiest workaround is to replace your USB modem with a proper DSL router, give it an internal IP e.g. 10.0.0.254 (or whatever suits your DHCP scope) and set it as the default gateway in DHCP
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Dear Tom,

Thank you for the suggestion. I know other method which works fine as well. Such as installing the third party proxy servers like CCProxy and Wingate etc.

The objective of this discussion was to find a solution to get over with the 192.168.0.1 problem on the NIC. And to have an insight, why ICS setup 192.168.0.1 as the default ip address to the network.

I keep programs like CCProxy as backup, in case my ICS goes down. I am still looking for an answer, why 192.168.0.1 and not the IP address scheme which we want.

Regards

Anshu Daksh
      Last edited by anshu.daksh; 24th July 2008, 14:07.

Comment

Basically, ICS is designed for home networks where there is no admin etc.
        It can all be done by one click which sets a static IP on the LAN-facing interface, enables basic DHCP and DNS and lets clients connect pretty much transparently.

Under those circumstances, the user would not be expected to know a valid IP address and would need to be protected from specifying a public range or an invalid address
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A search came up with this :http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q230148/

That should hopefully help you change the IP range for the ICS DHCP service.
          Have you got another DHCP server on the site?
          If yes then you need to make sure they are not configured to supply conflicting IP configuration for your clients.

Cheers
          Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

G'Day All,

I started to like this forum already. Getting some serious responses to a problem. Good work all. Hey L4ndy, I did read that article, I will try after work and see how I go. Thanks a lot mate.

Regards,

Anshu Daksh

Comment

Hey Guys,

Unfortunately, I did not find the ICS Sharing in my registry to make changes. Could it be possible, the time when this picture taken. Its just my client machine is unhooked and the ICS is not active ???

Regards,

Anshu Daksh
              Attached Files

Comment

Please note the KB applies to Windows 98SE and Millennium (Damn, now I've got to wash my mouth out with soap )

XP (assuming that is what you are using) may be different -- this article strongly suggests the address range is fixed:
                http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M...l?qid=21590790
                (note scroll past all the adverts to see the real content)
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  Please note the KB applies to Windows 98SE and Millennium (Damn, now I've got to wash my mouth out with soap )
                  Thanks for the observation Tom

At least washing the mouth is easily done, I've got to do another eye test though!!
                  Didn't pay enough attention after I saw last review date which was Jan of last year (Who said win 98 was dead!!!)

It looks like you are right, it seems to be hardcoded for XP.
                  One thing I am not sure though Anshu is why do you want to use ICS in an AD environment?
                  Check this article from the Petri site for more info: http://www.petri.com/configuring_ics...ndows_2000.htm

Ta
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

lol, you guys are funny.

However L4ndy the reason I am trying ICS, as I am learning Windows server 2003. I wish to find out what are the options available to share internet connection across the network.

While learning ICS, I stumbled upon 192.168.0.1. And I thought may be I should have some expert opinion on the subject. But so far I gathered different methods such as CCProxy and changing of DHCP settings of the DSL modem are advantageous over ICS. I can use my DHCP and AD as I always want them too.

Regards

Anshu

Note: btw L4ndy thank you for the article from Petri, that one is really good.
                    Last edited by anshu.daksh; 25th July 2008, 22:24.

Comment

Since you have a server, look at RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Services) and use that. It does the same job as ICS but can be configured properly!

To go further, you can look at ISA server, Microsofts recommended proxy server and firewall, but we are talking serious money here....
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Dear Ossian

Truthfully speaking, I am thinking to do the RRAS. It's just I am researching for the good resources or the primers on the RRAS..

Eventually, that is the next thing I am after.

Regards

Anshu

Comment

Don't use ICS but use RRAS.
                          Way more advanced then ICS although there are many other better solutions like a decent router for a few euros or go for cisco for a couple of 100 euros.

This might interesting for you to setup RRAS
                          http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...AT-router.html
                          Marcel
                          Technical Consultant
                          Netherlands
                          http://www.phetios.com
                          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank you Dumber, I have two Cisco routers and a Cisco switch sitting on a rack.

I have:

1 x Cisco2503
                            1 x Cisco 2522
                            1 x Catalyst 2900, XL series

They are decommissioned ones. I collected them from a company, who upgraded there network and were selling old equipments. Good for me as my lab companions.

I am going busy with my work, therefore I could not get to configure my Cisco routers for the internet connection.

However I like to remind you again of my HSDPA USB modem. Which can not be configured with Cisco routers unlike the DSL modem.

Regards

Anshu

Comment

There are DSL routers from cisco out there
                              See for example the cisco 800 series. Also not that expensive.
                              I almost bought one for my home network
                              Marcel
                              Technical Consultant
                              Netherlands
                              http://www.phetios.com
                              http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                              "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                              "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
                              X