DNS Host Record Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Host Record Question

hey ppl, I just started this new job and the network admin before me had DNS already setup. I noticed my users when they open up IE6 on the bottom corner it shows the wrong ip address. I was told by my director the correct ip should be 172.16.20.16 so I checked the DNS records and there are three
    'www' A records. One pointing to the 172.16.20.16(correct) and the other two pointing to 70.x.x.0 & 206.x.x.x(wrong). THe 'wrong' ones are the ones showing up in the bottom corner of IE6 and takes a while for our home page to come up. My question, finally, is how can I have IE6 just point to the 172.16.20.16 address, internally, when IE6 is launched? and, will having multiple 'www' A records mess things up?

here's a pic of the 'www' records;
    Attached Files
    knowledge is power

Re: DNS Host Record Question

If they are "wrong" just delete them.

Comment

they are still needed. anyone know if it's ok to have multiple 'www' A records pointing to different addresses?
      knowledge is power

Comment

It depends. If the www records point to different servers with the same content for the purpose of DNS load balancing (round robin) than it's OK. If the www records point to different addresses on the same server (public and private) then there's really no point in having them. Are these external (public) or internal (private) DNS records?

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          It depends. If the www records point to different servers with the same content for the purpose of DNS load balancing (round robin) than it's OK. If the www records point to different addresses on the same server (public and private) then there's really no point in having them. Are these external (public) or internal (private) DNS records?
          two are external and one internal
          knowledge is power

Comment

Working...
          X