newbie to server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie to server 2003

My roommate and I are playing with a copy of server 2003 that he got from some microsoft conference, anyway, we have ran into an issue.

I setup a VPN role, which worked great. I can connect just fine outside of the lan, so I know it's working. The problem is that now no computers on the lan can ping or connect to the w2k3 box. The only way you can connect to it is is via vpn.

The w2k3 box can see, ping and connect to the entire lan just fine, just not the other way around.

Where do I start?

Re: newbie to server 2003

Figured it out. Firewall was the problem.

Comment

Well done and fairly quick as well! Another thing to watch out for is if your create a SHARE, the default permission is Read Only. So, if you give Full Control under NTFS permissions you will still have Read Only permissions. Change SHARE permission to Everyone Full Control and limit the SHARE permissions by using the NTFS ones. That took me 2 hours to figure out the first time I installed 2003. Was not happy!
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        Well done and fairly quick as well! Another thing to watch out for is if your create a SHARE, the default permission is Read Only. So, if you give Full Control under NTFS permissions you will still have Read Only permissions. Change SHARE permission to Everyone Full Control and limit the SHARE permissions by using the NTFS ones. That took me 2 hours to figure out the first time I installed 2003. Was not happy!

Believe it or not i was told by a colleague of mine that this was NOT the correct way to do it lol.

Comment

I've always done it like that - give everyone full permission to walk through the door when they arrive, then control what they are allowed to do in the room via security. Funny, it does seem counter-intuitive, but it certainly works.
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

It's also the way I do it.
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

I think this is going off topic but just to add to this...
              I don't agree with Everyone Full Control on the share purely because it leaves it open to accidental allow rights should the NTFS permissions be incorrect. Having said that it is certainly the easiest way.
              cheers
              Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

okay so I am having the same problem as you...what had to be changed in the firewall? my local computers can not get on the network not but my VPN ones can....

Daniel

Comment

These articles might help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/179442

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555381
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
                  X