Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC's not appearing in 'Entire Network'

Hi Folks

My first post to these forums is a plea for help regarding viewing computers in the domain list (Entire Network). I did a search but could not see anything specific to my issue.

Here is what happens - I open My Network Places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Domain-name> and sometimes all the clients and servers will be visible, and sometimes they are not. This is something that has started to occur in the last few weeks. The domain has been running for several years.

The domain controllers (2) are running W2k3 R2 and the clients (33) are running WinXP Pro SP3 except for two which are running W2k SP4. The AD domain is a single domain. Replication is working fine between the DC's and DNS is working fine too (a secondary DNS server is installed on the second DC). All PC's and servers are located at one office.

All IP address assignments for office computers, storage devices and printers are static and are within the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99. DHCP is setup for guest machines and VPN users, and the scope covers 192.168.0.150 - 192.168.0.200.

The 'PDC' (Titan) runs RRAS for VPN users, and all network traffic uses one adaptor on Titan. The Internet is available via our router which has DHCP services turned off.

My knowledge of how this works is incomplete. I have done some searching on the net which has led me to check the registry settings that determine which computers (servers) can be browse masters and they are correct. I have read that this is likely to be a netbios issue, and have also read that a WINS server needs to be setup. I don't know enough about netbios or WINS to know how these should be configured - and isn't WINS only required if there are pre-W2k OS's on the network?

I don't understand why the problem is intermittent. If the PC's/Servers are not visible in the list, they are not inaccessible - typing \\name will bring up the shared resources on each, and I can connect to each of them using Remote Desktop without a problem, so it definitely is not a connectivity issue.

If anyone can give me some help with this I will be very grateful, and so will the users on my network.

Thanks
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: PC's not appearing in 'Entire Network'

You have to enable netbios over tcp.
    Per default this is disabled because security problems with netbios.

But why is this a problem for you?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Just install WINS on one server, configure DHCP options for WINS to point to that server.
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

@Dumber: Thanks. When I was looking at this, I was hoping there might be a way to set this automatically so that I do not have to change every client individually - for example on the DHCP server you can configure it so that it automatically includes the gateway. Is there a similar setting for changing netbios either via the DNS server or via Group Policy. I've looked but can't see anything.

It's not a problem changing it, it's knowing if it will work that's the problem

@]SK[: Thanks too All our PC's have static IP addresses. We do not use DHCP except for guest connections. A WINS server has been setup on the DC, but obviously, there are no active registrations.

Comment

The point of DHCP is to get away from having to statically assign an IP to every machine on the network. I guess it's times like this when you need to be using DHCP.

Maybe use the netsh command to reconfigure all NICs?
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Hi ]SK[, thanks again for replying.

We've always used static addressing. As the PC's have been added to the network piecemeal, it's never been an issue.

I'll have a word with my manager and see how he feels about moving over to DHCP. Thanks for the netsh link - another learning curve approaches...

Cheers!

Comment

PC's still not populating Entire Network

Hello everyone

After posting this question about PC's not appearing in Entire Network, I received several helpful replies and was advised to install DHCP so that I could centrally manage any future changes to DNS settings on client machines.

Well, I have made the changes. I have enabled NetBIOS over TCP, I have changed from static IP addressing to DHCP and have installed a WINS server. All DHCP assignments are through reservations.

In the DHCP scope options I have the addresses set for DNS and WINS servers etc:

Problem is, although NBT is set and the WINS server shows all the PC's, Entire Network is still empty.

If anyone has any further ideas on what may be causing this and what the solution may be, I will be very grateful.

The network comprises a single AD domain with two domain controllers. DNS, DHCP and WINS are all on one DC (192.168.0.2) with secondary DNS on the second DC (192.168.0.5). Everything is located on 192.168.0.xxx. There are only 30 clients. All clients are joined to the domain.

Thanks!

Here's an ipconfig /all from a client:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Andy
              Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : htlincs.local
              Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
              IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
              WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
              DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : htlincs.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Cont
              roller
              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-21-EB-58
              Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
              Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
              IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.100
              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.95
              DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
              Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 18 September 2008 14:27:52
              Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 27 September 2008 14:27:52

Comment

Re: PC's still not populating Entire Network

If you have Windows Firewall running on your clients, make sure that the "File and Printer Sharing" exception is enabled.
                Last edited by Winfred; 18th September 2008, 17:24. Reason: sp

Comment

I've actually one question:
                  Why do you care?
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                    I've actually one question:
                    Why do you care?
                    LOL! Personally, I don't. I always use \\servername to navigate a server's shares.

However, despite 7 years worth of informing staff about this handy little shortcut, they still insist on using Network Neighborhood>Entire Network>M-S-Network>Domain>etc etc

Frustrating.

@Winfred:

Thanks for replying. There are no firewall issues. I use a centrally managed firewall and the LAN is trusted.

Everything has been working fine for years. I don't understand why the issue arose in the first place.

Comment

I'd just add mapped drives to their profiles via a logon script. That's easier than them manually typing in a server name, as well as the network neighborhood.
                      ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

[I was linked to this thread via http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27917]

Can you show an export of the key (and subkeys) from one of the clients:
                        HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\ Services\Browser\Parameters

Check if the "Computer Browser" (browser) service is up and running on the clients.

Check also for the presence of the GPO settings,
                        ... \Administrative templates \Windows Components \Windows Explorer \
                        - "No "Computers Near Me" in My Network Places"
                        - "No Entire Network in My Network Places"

\Rems

additional info:
                        Computer Browser Service Technical Reference
                        Last edited by Rems; 18th September 2008, 21:56.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. Each 'department' has their own top-level shares. Sometimes, staff need access to little used shares and that is when the navigation issue arises.

I am in the process of preparing an IT skills assessment for the organisation and hope to be able to target staff with relevant training and refinement of the IT infrastructure as a result.

However, even though these suggestions are useful, and I am grateful for your responses, none of this really helps me discover why the machines are not populating 'Entire Network'.

From what I have read, the configuration of the network should fulfill the conditions required to do this: the machines have been joined to the domain for months/years, netBIOS over TCP is enabled on all the devices, the firewall is configured to allow all network traffic.

I really don't know what else to look at.

Comment

Thank you - I'll get onto this tomorrow morning and post back when I have the info.

Comment

However, despite 7 years worth of informing staff about this handy little shortcut, they still insist on using Network Neighborhood>Entire Network>M-S-Network>Domain>etc etc

Dear Employees,

From 1st October 2008, the "Entire Network" function will no longer be available. Users will need to use alternative means to connect to network resources; see the company intranet Help Pages for more information.

Thank you.

You Friendly Neighbourhood IT Guys.

Then on 1st October, switch off (is it the Browser service?) on all computers and servers via GPO. Network Neighbourhood/Entire Network will be empty from then onwards.

Tom
                              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
                              X