No announcement yet.

maintaining Win XP installation after replacing a motherboar

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintaining Win XP installation after replacing a motherboar

HELP @@@@
    when replacing a motherboard in a Pc with Win XP on it i get a blue error screen.
    how do i resolve it without installing a new copy of Windows?

What you can do is use the windows installation disk boot it and then repair current install. If that doesnt work all I can say is back up your data and have a clean install on that drive.

If you don't replace the MB with an exact same one, XP will fail to load the correct drivers and crash.

You can try booting from your XP disk and perform a repair. Do not use the repair option with repair console. Follow steps as to installing a new copy and at a point XP will notice a current installation and ask if you would like to repair that installation. It will then attempt to detect and load drivers for a sucessfull boot on your new MB.

This usually works fine, but not guaranteed.
      Hopfully you won't have to re-activate Windows.

Good Luck

in future if replacing the motherboard you can try before you shut down have the new MB cd in the drive,then shut down change out mb and restart you may get lucky I have a few times and not several times to,just reinstalled OS if worst case but it did work a couple times,the new mb cd goes around loading and you okay and clicking till its done,its not a sure thing but just may work.