RDC printing setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDC printing setup

Does anyone know how to set this up correctly?

I have a remote user who RDC's into a server and uses an application on that server. He also wants to be able to print to his local PC at home from that application on the remote server.

How do I get this going and what needs to be installed (as far as services/features) on the server before hand?

Thanks

Re: RDC printing setup

1: install printer drivers on the server
    2: allow the client to map printers in the mstsc and maybe in the terminal server manager.
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
      2: allow the client to map printers in the mstsc and maybe in the terminal server manager.
      It's the map printers part that I'm not getting.

What does "mstsc" stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
        What does "mstsc" stand for?
        Microsoft Terminal Services Connection. It is the command to be run when you want to establish a Remote Desktop Connection.
        Take a look at this article to learn which options are available and how to use them.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Now you may have to do a reg fix on his local computer that hold the printer, since it wont forward USB printers over. Like said before the print driver needs to be installed on the remote computer, it may already be a generic enough printer and preinstalled already. If it is a USB, then whatever computer that printer is hooked up to you will need to do this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
          2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
          HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR
          3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
          4. Type FilterQueueType, and then press ENTER.
          5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
          6. Type FFFFFFFF, and then click OK.
          7. Reboot Computer
          What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
            Now you may have to do a reg fix on his local computer that hold the printer, since it wont forward USB printers over. Like said before the print driver needs to be installed on the remote computer, it may already be a generic enough printer and preinstalled already. If it is a USB, then whatever computer that printer is hooked up to you will need to do this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
            2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
            HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Default\AddIns\RDPDR
            3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
            4. Type FilterQueueType, and then press ENTER.
            5. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
            6. Type FFFFFFFF, and then click OK.
            7. Reboot Computer
            Negative. USB ports should be mapped via TS.You cannot use a generic driver though or the mapping will fail.If you can find the closest equivalent (usually HP 4L) this may work for a time and then fail on the client side depending on the what functionality of the print driver is required. If you check the event logs on the TS server you will see this. The driver must be the EAXCT driver for the client and for the server. 3 in 1`s/multi-functional tend to give the most problems as theres rarely an equivalent for the server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361

Comment

Originally posted by scurlaruntings View Post
              Negative. USB ports should be mapped via TS.You cannot use a generic driver though or the mapping will fail.If you can find the closest equivalent (usually HP 4L) this may work for a time and then fail on the client side depending on the what functionality of the print driver is required. If you check the event logs on the TS server you will see this. The driver must be the EAXCT driver for the client and for the server. 3 in 1`s/multi-functional tend to give the most problems as theres rarely an equivalent for the server.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302361
              Yes that is correct I didnt mean USB as the port, but if he used a USB print server or DOT4 driver of some sort, then he would need to use the reg fix. Thanks for clarifying that.
              What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                The client configurator will only allow you to DISABLE windows service like print mappings COM ports etc not enable them. As long as none of the tabs are checked in the client configurator the end user can enable print redirection from there own RDP session.

Comment

Working...
                X