Conflicting DNS preferred/alternate advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicting DNS preferred/alternate advice

Hi all. Thanks for all your indirect help over the years! Hopefully, you can provide some opinions on this issue...

I've got 2 DCs at my main site and several DCs at remote sites, one per site. I've seen conflicting info on what the best set up in each DNS server's TCP/IP settings should be in regards to preferred and secondary DNS.

I want to set the main site DNS servers to look to each other as the preferred DNS, and themselves as the secondary DNS. LAN wise, the main DNS servers are on the same VLAN, so chatter between them shouldn't be an issue. The remote DNS servers would be the opposite, looking to themselves first and the main site last. This seems to be best for keeping traffic over tunnels down.

Drawing on KB825036 suggests that would be the best way, but I've seen contradictory posts in other places on the web suggesting simply to point every one of the DNS servers to themselves for the primary DNS and either of the main site servers as the secondary.

Anyone have a strong opinion either way?

Re: Conflicting DNS preferred/alternate advice

There in no right or wrong way. Its one of those things were you balance traffic vs accuracy.

Some like to set the primary dns on all servers to a single server, then clients ddns to that server. This way theres no delay for new/updated recoards but more traffic across sites.

Theres times in troubleshooting and migration where you must change the primary dns address.

Comment

Re: Conflicting DNS preferred/alternate advice

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
      There in no right or wrong way. Its one of those things were you balance traffic vs accuracy.

Some like to set the primary dns on all servers to a single server, then clients ddns to that server. This way theres no delay for new/updated recoards but more traffic across sites.

Theres times in troubleshooting and migration where you must change the primary dns address.
      I agree in principle but I'd rather not have any traffic generated by DNS queries across the WAN. I would personally resolve all queries locally and let the replication sort out any accuracy issues.
      Plus Microsoft prefers it that way?
      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
      X