Compress Drive on Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compress Drive on Server

Is it a good idea to select "Compress drive to save disk space" on the data share drive on a Windows 2003 server. I would like to do that because the space is low however want to verify that this is a smart move.

Re: Compress Drive on Server

Originally posted by sentel View Post
    Is it a good idea to select "Compress drive to save disk space" on the data share drive on a Windows 2003 server. I would like to do that because the space is low however want to verify that this is a smart move.
    This very thing was done on the file server at one of my worksites. If the file server is accessed very frequently, there can be a performance hit since the server decompresses files on the fly as they are accessed. However, the performance hit didn't seem to be very bad. Here's an article on the subject. Other than that, I've never noticed any ill effects.

How many GBs are we talking about here? Also, if the files are already in some kind of compressed format (MP3s, MPEG4s, JPEGs, etc.) then the compression won't gain you much space.
    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 14th July 2008, 21:58.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

3 - 36gb drives with RAID 5. Good info....Thanks.

Comment

A side note also. If you need to clear space and don't want to uninstall updates etc you can remove the hidden KB directories in the Windows folder, empty temp dirs and check for things like AV quarantine etc.
        You could even look for data that is old that can be long term archived too.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

RAID 5 + compression, eww.

I hope this is a short term thing for you. Look into expanding that array.

Comment

Thanks all for the info.....Good Info....
            I will look into expanding the array...I think it's time.

Comment

Working...
            X