No announcement yet.

Password Mania

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Password Mania

I have set up a domain policy to require strong passwords. Problem is that one of my users requires a simple password on a local account on the user's computer. The domain policy is applied and I am unable to make a change to the local policy to allow that user to use the simply password for a local account. I can take the user out of the domain, change the password to a simple password and put the user back into the domain (that works). However, wouldn't you know, when I enforce password change for the domain, again that account requires a strong password and I repeat the step of taking the computer out of the domain, changing local account password, and putting it back in the domain again. Any suggestions?

Re: Password Mania

Any suggestions for what? You have just described the way password policy works, as if you read it from the design document.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Try this:

Create a GPO and apply it to the OU that the user's computer is in. Go into the GPO's security tab and make the user's computer the only security principle to have the Allow-Read and Allow-Apply permissions. Then, go into Computer Configuration and tweak the password policy to your heart's content. That should change the local password policy that is applied to that computer. I think you could also do it by applying a security template to the computer via GPO.

Let us know how it goes.
      Wesley David
      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
      Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
      Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
      Blog: || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
      Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow:

I created the GPO and added the computer to that GPO with the access read and access apply policy. Rebooted the user's computer but the policy didn't apply. Tried giving the user the same access but didn't work. Have tried several things with the GPO but no success. In theory, it should work but apparently I've missed a step. Suggestions???