Computer account disabled

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer account disabled

I have a computer account on the network that I recently unjoined and rejoined to the domain because I was having trouble with this account. Then I noticed that the account was disabled so I reenabled it. Days later the account again was disabled.

Could the server somehow disable an account automatically?

Thanks

Re: Computer account disabled

I've never seen this happen but my only hypothesis is that the computer object password (which is by default reset automatically every 30 days between the domain and the computer) has somehow gotten out of sync with the domain and is beyond automatic means of repair from the domain controllers point of view and thus the DC disables the account for security reasons (as a precautionary measure).

I would re-enable the computer account, manually reset the password, then wait for it to happen again and immediately examine the event logs both on the DC's and on the workstation.

Jas
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I recently unjoined the PC from the domain and moved that PC from one OU to another and I think the DC's were not replicating well at the time. So I guess one server had it placed in one OU while the other had it in a different one causing one DC to disable it.

That's what I think happend.

DC's are replicating now and everything is back to normal.

In your case, I would make sure active directory is up to date on all your DC's, then unjoin and rejoin that PC to the domain.

Comment

It sounds like the USERS account is getting locked out, not the COMPUTER account.
        They are two different things, and you need to differeniate between the two.
        go to http://www.microsoft.com and get the lockoutstatus & eventcomb tools.

Did the user change their DOMAIN password (lockoutstatus will tell you time thay last changed it, and also let you unlock it) arround the time that the problem started.
        If so then they have a Share that is auto mapped (using user nme and password), or an application that logs in to some application on another system taht is using their old password.

You can use eventcomb to search the DOMAIN controller event logs, for entries for that user, and it will then point you to the machine, which is causing the issue.
        Redearl
        Congress is like diapers; It should be changed regularly as it gets full of the same thing..

Comment

A long shot - is the PC time in sync with the domain time?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884776/en-us
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Shazam

My thought was just what I said it was - a long shot. As you have eliminated it, your best bet is to follow through with the suggestions from the other members.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I am unclear here - is this a USER account or a MACHINE account? Is it "Locked Out" or "Disabled"???

DISABLING an account is a manual process; there is no way an account could be disabled without human or scripted intervention. Locking Out an account is a purely AUTOMATIC process - the only way to do it is to use the wrong password the configured number of times.

So - the answers to your issues cannot be worked out until we know the answers to these questions.

Tom
              For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Shazam View Post
                I too have the same problem with a particular user. I have tried resetting the password but no avail. I have not look into the event logs but I will next time, if anyone else has any ideas why this happening all be greatly appreciative.
                Shazam, you are hijacking the thread
                No Thread Hijacking!!

You also are confusing everyone since the thread's title and the OP's question is about "Computer account disabled", and your question is about "One User keeps getting locked out".

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

I reported this thread, your hijack, to the Forum Moderators.

Shazam, maybe this thread can help with addressing authentication issues on the computer;
                  http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=23964

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Shazam, all your posts have been moved to its own Thread. http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=27809

If you have a question, EVEN if it is the same as another one we require you to create a thread for your question. This saves confusion with who is answering who.

Forum Rules. http://forums.petri.com/announcement.php?f=11
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                    X