DNS Issues with Exchange

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS Issues with Exchange

Hello, I'm getting very frustrated with getting my setup to work, especially after it had worked for so long and now gives me issues. First of all I'm going to start with my setup:

3 Routers - each running a static IP from the DSL modem. All routers are linked within the lan by interconnecting them with a physical cable through the LAN ports. Each router is using DHCP to assign IP addresses in different ranges within the same subnet. The reason I'm doing this is because I have 2 PS3s on the network as well and I wanted them completely isolated but wanted them to have access to the LAN for media servers. NAT is enabled on all 3 routers. By the way, all 3 routers are plugged into a switch.

Here's the issue, on the PCs, if I do not enter my internal DNS server info on the TCP/IP properties page, I cannot connect to the Exchange server on my domain server and i cannot login to MSN Live Messenger...very strange....however my internet connection is still there...I can still browse the internet. I can't for the life of me understand what is going on here. If I remove the DNS entries I get those symptoms.

If anyone can provide any insight it would be immensely appreciated. If you require any further info please let me know. Thanks.

Re: DNS Issues with Exchange

Based on what you are saying I can narrow this down to a Name resolution issue.
    Have you tried Ipconfig /flushdns and Ipconfig /registerdns in your machine?
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Haven't tried that yet, but isn't that done everytime you reboot? Because I'm getting DNS and DHCP from one of my routers, doesn't the fact I'm on the same subnet provide me access to my DC? This one's got me stumped. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by FCPPorto View Post
        Thanks for the reply. Haven't tried that yet, but isn't that done everytime you reboot?
        Yes it does. Now, what I'd suggest is to disable the DHCP on the router and Install and configure the DHCP in a win 2003 box , your DC should be ok for that. I suppose you have configured DNS in your network as well. Configure the DNS scope option in the DHCP as your host based DNS server, Authorise the DHCP in AD. (Note: you need to be a member of Enterprise admins group to be able to do that)
        On the client machine do a ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew.
        Everything should work fine then presuming your DNS is configured properly.

There is a few limitations with the DNS server running on a router, one of which is not all the responses are cached and some are cached incorrectly thus i would recommend using a host based DNS server.

Below are two articles about DHCP:
        http://www.computerperformance.co.uk..._Configure.htm
        and DNS server running on a router:
        http://www.nil.si/ipcorner/RouterDNS/

Cheers
        Last edited by L4ndy; 10th July 2008, 19:44.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X