Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to stop automatic restarts after hotfix installations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to stop automatic restarts after hotfix installations?

Yesterday, my Win2K3 ISA server downloaded and installed the following update:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: NtServicePack
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4377
    Date: 10/07/2008
    Time: 3:00:27 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: CLA-ISA
    Description:
    Windows Server 2003 Hotfix KB951748 was installed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Then it rebooted itself:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: USER32
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1074
    Date: 10/07/2008
    Time: 3:00:27 AM
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Computer: CLA-ISA
    Description:
    The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of computer CLA-ISA on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found
    Reason Code: 0x80020002
    Shutdown Type: restart
    Comment:

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 02 00 02 80 ...€
    Is there a way to stop automatic restarts after hotfix installations?
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Is there a way to stop automatic restarts after hotfix installations?

Just set automatic updates to download but notify of install, that's how my servers are

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan G View Post
      Just set automatic updates to download but notify of install, that's how my servers are
      Thanks Bryan. What happens when you eventually install the new update? Will the server then insist on rebooting? If I then log off (the server would be in production and not ready for a reboot yet) then I assume the system will automatically reboot after a period of time as what happened with KB951748?

I do not know how to tell there-and-then if a waiting hotfix needs a reboot, and I don't want to spend time researching those requirements each time I log onto a new server and find an update waiting. Plus, I don't want to be left with the option of only updating servers after hours, especially when the updates do not require a reboot as I don't want to wait til 7pm ecah night when servers can be rebooted.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      |

Comment

When you log into the server and there's an update to be installed the yellow shield will pop up in the taskbar notifying you so, you can then click it and install the update. If the update requires a restart it will pop up again telling you the computer needs to be restarted, which you can then do whenever

Comment

the last few updates were very critical make sure you do install them.
          What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan G View Post
            When you log into the server and there's an update to be installed the yellow shield will pop up in the taskbar notifying you so, you can then click it and install the update. If the update requires a restart it will pop up again telling you the computer needs to be restarted, which you can then do whenever
            So wrt KB951748, if I had setup my servers with "download but notify of install", I would have logged onto the server and seen the shield. I would then have clicked it and installed the update after which it would have advised me that it requires the reboot. You are saying that at this point, the server will not reboot and I can schedule a task for the reboot when I like?

I'm worried about the updates which reboot your machine after waiting 5 minutes, which is what i think KB951748 was (can anyone verify this?). I'm worried that even if I had manually installed the update and logged off, 5 minutes later my server would have rebooted anyway.

I'm hoping someone who has installed this update using your method can verify that the server does not reboot automatically at any stage. Thanks heaps so far.
            |
            +-- JDMils
            |
            |

Comment

For individual servers, you can either adjust the registry or use gpedit.msc (from the run box), go to computer configuration, admin templates, windows components and then windows updates.

You can set up some specifics here, including not to auto restart the server.

You can also set this using a policy in Active Directory so all your servers / workstations get the same settings.

And yes, KB951748 does want to restart after updating. And while it's a critical update, restarting however many production servers you have during the day, is not a great idea and certainly no help from MS when the default is to auto-restart!

Comment

Working...
              X