ADPREP with NT server in domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADPREP with NT server in domain

I have recently started a new IT managers job and have inherited a windows network which at best appears to hang together.

I have 3 servers located in 3 domains, it appears none of the domains trust each other although I can login to any domain and see the sahres from any other domain. 2 of the domains have W2k3 servers and the other domain uses a NT 4 Server. I in the process of adding another w2k3r2 server into one of the domains, this is no problem. BUT I would like to now run a dcpromo to make this server a backup controller because I struggling to see how all the domains see each other (cannot see any ther domain in AD domain trusts and sites) but I can add security and see shares from all domains I worried that running adprep on this domain may effect the other 2 domains in particular the NT domain. Any advice on how to do this would be appreciated. Will the NT server be effected by this process and wil this stop all domains being able to view each other.

Re: ADPREP with NT server in domain

You do not need to exte,d the schema each time you add an windows 2K3 dc.
    You only need to extend the schema ones.
    "2 of the domains have W2k3 servers and the other domain uses a NT 4 Server."
    Does the refferenced domain have allready have a Windows Server 2K3 domain controller?
    If yes, the schema is allready extented, so you can add another W2K3 dc without adprep.
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

The truth is, I have no idea if the domain as already run adprep, at a glance it would appear every server as been added with its own domain (Srv1 - dom1, Srv2 - dom2, Srv3 - Dom3) but I cannot see any of these domains from with AD, which makes me think none of these have been prepared for a forest. Because I cannot see the other domains via AD, would this signify that adprep as not been run simply because none of the other srver re domains are shown.

Comment

When you open Active Directory Domain and trusts, sellect the domain and than sellect trusts.
        What do you see there?

When you open Active Directory Sites and services, what do you see?

If you only see the "default first site", how many dc's are defined within that site?
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

Comment

Sorry the trusts are shown, not sure why or how I missed that.
          I still cannot ADD the new server into the Dom1 as a backup because I keep getting the message AD not prepared run ADPREP forest and domain. Its not massive issue, although I'd much rather have a backup controller especially with the main unit having Exchange, print, file, IIS and just about evry other services loaded.
          I assume because the domains are trusted the Forest Prep and Domain Prep should only effect the schema's on the active domain. The Domain Sites only shows 1 DC and 1 server none of the others are replicating.

It would also appear the DNS as a connected STUB which is a SBS2003 domain and server (OUCH....!) will the ADPREP effect this. Also all workstations for all domains (including the SBS whcih is the 4th I have tried not to mention) use the SBS for DHCP, surely this is painfully wrong..........

Comment

You have to be carefull with an SBS server, these servers are designed to be the only server within a certain organization. The SBS server will keep all FSMO roles, and is limited to 75 users.
            Those trusts you see, what types are they?
            If it are three sepperate forests, the adprep will not affect other forests.
            Also adprep does not affect your existing DNS server.
            [Powershell]
            Start-DayDream
            Get-Drink
            Lay-Back
            Start-Sleep
            Wake-Up!
            Resume-Service
            Write-Warning
            [/Powershell]

Comment

Thanks for the help I've managed to resolve the member server access issue.

Strangely nothing to do with AD, I have a HP server using "Teamed" NICs. Broke the Team, added details onto single card, rebooted and all the NICs were firewalled, removed the windows firewall and "Hey Presto" access to the server

Just for info the Trusted Domain are both External and do NOT inclde the domain which the SBS resides in. I still think at some point I will need to run ADPREP just to get a BDC, but this is not essential.

Thanks for your help

Comment

Working...
              X