Get logged on computer names

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get logged on computer names

I support several apps where I work. I use remote help whenever I can. Domain is setup with mix W2K3 and W2K servers. Workstations are mostly XP Pro. I have workstation admin priveleges.

I get an email from a user saying that a certain app won't start. User goes to a meeting that lasts for 3 hours, comes back and expects me to drop everything because it is life threatening if he doesn't get his app working.

I can get the logon id from AD for the user. I used to do a net send command and the check nbtstat cache and retrieve the machine ID. I can now remote registry to the user or look at his drives. It may be that an ini is not configured correctly or a shortcut is wrong or the Oracle client is not installed. I can do all these things without the user being there.

The question is, without net send being available, armed ony with the logon id how can I retrieve the computer(s) that the user is logged into in the domain?

Stephen Yale

The Simplest way...

is just enable auditing of logon events and when looking for someone's machine ID, just open event viewer and search for his user name...

alltough a bit "oversmart" its the simplest way.

there are another ways like writing s script to do this for you...
    Yaniv Feldman
    Microsoft Security Regional Director
    Microsoft Management Expert
    MCSA, MCSE, MCT

Comment

The company I work for is big. Lots of servers and lots of workstations. I do not have admin access to domain controllers other than querying AD and the WINS/DNS machines. I need a way that I can, for instance, query the WINS server to get the machine name. I know there is some software that will run and get all the data from all the IP's in a given range and do an NBTSTAT against the IP but I will have the netwok police on my case before it runs for to long. It's a rael shame that AD cannot get the information. I know AD can see if a machine or user belongs in the domain but I want to be able to tie these together.

Stephen

Comment

Why not amend the login script to write to a text file each logon for that day. It could include the variables %computername% and %username%. You would need an area on the network that all users could write to. Or try this piece of software that we are looking to buy for very similar reasons:

http://www.pnltools.com/UserLock.asp
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Get logged on computer names

Originally posted by syale
          . User goes to a meeting that lasts for 3 hours, comes back and expects me to drop everything because it is life threatening if he doesn't get his app working.
          Users are the same the world over

Comment

Re: Get logged on computer names

Originally posted by Davej
            Originally posted by syale
            . User goes to a meeting that lasts for 3 hours, comes back and expects me to drop everything because it is life threatening if he doesn't get his app working.
            Users are the same the world over
            yes indeed...
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
            X