• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server configuration advice

hi all, im running into a problem, what i want to do is the following:
    • Web server
    • Email Server

all in one box i have a DHCP server in my router.
    i would also like to host a UT3 dedicated server for the website im hosting
    but i need help on setting this up.

im getting 1GB of SDR ram for the server on monday so i can install Server 2003

i hope you can help me with this thanking you all
    Nightsider

Re: help this noob

You might have a look at SBS
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

SBS is that another Server OS?

Comment

It's an all in one product from Micorosoft for small and medium bussinesses.
        http://www.microsoft.com/Windowsserv...s/Default.mspx

I believe up to 75 concurrent users
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

is SBS easy to set up? ive been on the product web page and it looks impresive im just wondering how easy it is to set up

Comment

When you say that you're a noob, does that rule out the possibility of using Linux as your server? It seems to be able to do everything that you want it to, including an UT3 server.

SBS will cost you a pretty penny (as did Server 2003 if it wasn't given to you as a gift).

What experience with web servers and email servers do you have? What features do you want out of them? Also, what kind of load do you expect it to have? I.e., how many connections are you expecting? Dozens? Hundreds?
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            -------------------------------
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
            Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

I?d go for linux any day - it can perform all of the mentioned tasks, and if the server is not very seriously loaded, 1Gb of RAM will be an overkill
              ________
              Make a vaporizer
              Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:06.
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

i dont have much experiance with linux but i have been able to set up a working debian box ill go into more detail about what im after

Web server
                • To be able to host my own website
                • have a members area with a forum
                • possibly have a download section

email server

and if i ran this under Linux how am i going to set this all up, and how am i going to get the UT3 server to run under Linux

connection wise im expecting half a dozen connections but with the UT3 server possibly hundreds of connections

the server has a Pentium 3 cpu which is running @ 100Mhz

Comment

pentium3? definitely linux
                  if you like Debian, here you go: http://howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_etch
                  ________
                  AROMED VAPORIZER
                  Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:07.
                  Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by nightsider View Post
                    i dont have much experiance with linux but i have been able to set up a working debian box
                    Well, if you've done that then you may be able to set up what you need. Even if you used a Windows Server product, you'd still need to know how to set it up, the various theories and technologies behind the features, etc, (DNS, HTTP, email server management). You'll still need to know all of that if you use Linux but you'll also need to get familiar with different syntax and whatnot. It's doable as long as you're on good terms with Google.

Web server

* To be able to host my own website
                    * have a members area with a forum
                    * possibly have a download section
                    Sounds like a good fit for a LAMP server (Linux, Apache, MySQL, Perl or Python or PHP)

email server

* have a email address that reflects my site for example [email protected]
                    * allow registered users to have their own email accounts for example [email protected] or [email protected]
                    * access my email form any computer and via Microsoft outlook
                    There are alot of possibilites for an email server. You may want to look into Zimbra, OpenExchange, or PostPath. PostPath in particular is supposed to be an open-source Exchange killer.

and if i ran this under Linux how am i going to set this all up, and how am i going to get the UT3 server to run under Linux
                    That, my friend, is what is for. Seriously, if you're going to try to do something this ambitious, you need to accept that you'll be neck deep in Google searches, help forums, IRC channels, etc.. Just use some common sense and some basic critical thinking skills and you'll be fine.

the server has a Pentium 3 cpu which is running @ 100Mhz
                    I'm going to assume that you meant to say "1,000 MHz" That should be plenty for what you're thinking about.

I hope that helps. Keep us posted with how it goes. BTW, what's your URL going to be? Can I have an email account?
                    Last edited by Nonapeptide; 4th July 2008, 22:35.
                    Wesley David
                    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
                    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
                    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

With those hardware specs I also would go for a Linux distro.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands

Comment

for my URl im thinking Darkside.net or somthing like that and yea you can have an email account when i get things set up

Comment

for my URl im thinking Darkside.net or somthing like that and yea you can have an email account when i get things set up
                          Well, darkside.net is already taken (unless you're the one who's taken it). Whatever you choose, register it before you post the name of it so that someone (or something) doesn't grab it up before you. Also, be careful when looking for names to register. If you use a registrar's domain lookup feature on their website, they may very well snatch that domain up if it looks good and then try to jack the price up. It happened to me a few times.

Use PsychicWhois.com to search for registered domain names.
                          Wesley David
                          LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

ok ill do a full re-install of debian when i get the ram, and ill look into thouse excange server applications you mentiond

Comment

Working...
                            X