Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow copy shows only today

Hi all,

I have shadow copy enabled on a D: drive using the C drive as the storage area with 20GB as the limit.

Yes for some reason it clears yesterdays shadow copy, only allowing me to recover from a file at 7am?

Where is my misconfiguration?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wildo; 2nd July 2008, 14:03.

Re: Shadow copy shows only today

Hi

You'll probably need to set the Maximum Size to No Limit (Which i dont recommend) or increase the size limit when configuring Shadow copies.
    This article may help you http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...chNet.10).aspx
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi L4ndy, at the moment it's only uses 350mb when it's got 20gb!

Please see the picture.

Comment

Wildo!

I think I can see where you are going wrong.
        On the Schedule tab make sure you select Weekly from the Schedule Task list.
        You have currently got Daily there and everyday it gets reset.

That should do it.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks L4ndy, i thought it would be something simple.

does that mean that every week it will get reset now?

Comment

Yes it does, unless you schedule it differently to the way it suits you.
            Since you don't seem to have a problem with disk space i'd say leave it to the weekly schedule (Saves you the bother to Restore it for them).

Cheers
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Using the setting that Andy has suggested (similar to my own), you can see that I have Shadows right back to April. As long as you have the capacity available, you will get 64 Shadow Copies before they start over writing the oldest one. Otherwise, once the limit set has been reached the oldest Copy will be over written to stay withing the set limit.

Keep in mind that this is NOT a substitute for a proper backup to an external backup device.

Click image for larger version

Name:	volume-shadow1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	463606Click image for larger version

Name:	volume-shadow2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	463607
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

gotcha, thanks for your help all!

Comment

I don't think Scheduling has anything to do with copies being "reset" Scheduling just controls when the snapshots are created.

Shadow Copies are purged after 64 copies or because of capacity.

Check your event log. If you have performance bottlenecks while shadow backups are taking place then all previous shadow copies may be purged to keep a consistant state.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
                    I don't think Scheduling has anything to do with copies being "reset" Scheduling just controls when the snapshots are created.

Shadow Copies are purged after 64 copies or because of capacity.

Check your event log. If you have performance bottlenecks while shadow backups are taking place then all previous shadow copies may be purged to keep a consistant state.
                    Yes sure it does, I though when Wildo said "Reset" he probably meant the List of available snapshots being updated.
                    Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Hi all, L4ndy you are correct. It seems the snapshot gets reset every day for some reason?

Please see the attached picture.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Wildo!

Looking at your attachment again maybe another thing to look at will be the available free space on Volume C:\ (Which is where you are storing the snapshots) If disk free space falls below the minimum amount, older shadow copies will be sacrificed to allow disk operations to continue. Space from the storage area will continue to be allocated to data storage until the shadow copy area is at the minimum size required to sustain the service (300MB).
                        If that's the case change the storage volume to D:\ (Although not recommended, might be your only option)
                        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

hi L4ndy, we've thought the same, so i've changed it to dtore the snapshots on the D drive.

The C drive does have 50gb fee and has always had lots of space.

Wierd?

I'll let you know reults tomorrow .

Comment

Same issue again, why does it only show one snap shot each day?

Please see attachment of this morning.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hmm

Have a look at this and see if it helps: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826936
                              Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                              X