Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sync time to a server?

Hi guys,

Here is what i did. I synced a stand alone windows 2003 server to an external ntp and it is working fine by following the instructions given by microsoft (editing registry keys). Now my plan is to make this server as an internal ntp to sync all of our computers (xp sp3) including our other servers (AD, File) time. So what i did was type this in command from xp computers w32tm /config /manualpeerlistxx.xxx.xxx.xxx,0x8 /syncfromflags:MANUAL but , restarted w32 time, resync but they wont sync. Am i missing something or it is just not possible?

Thanks in advance guys..
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: How to sync time to a server?

All clients should be automatically being synced with the PDC emulator (your first DC).
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply sir. So does this mean that clients will not be able to sync to this stand alone time server? Do i really have to sync these client computers to a PDC emulator? Thanks
      Ronuel
      MCP

Comment

Clients will automatically sync to the PDC emulator without any input from you. Here's what I would recommend for synching to an external time source: set the PDC emulator to sync to the external source (such as time.windows.com or tock.usno.navy.mil, etc.), leave the clients alone as they should get their time internally from the PDC emulator not externally. Because of the importance of the time synchronization between the clients and the PDC emulator they should sync to it and nothing else.

Comment

I got you sir..now i will change my plan to stick to my PDC emulator not to a stand alone server. because i have no plan of transferring the PDC emulator role to the stand alone server.So this is what im going to do i will sync the PDC manually by command prompt via "w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:<server>,0x1 /syncfromflags:MANUAL" resart w32 time and resync. Will this be enough or do i still need to edit registry or the Group policy? Anyway than you so much for all your help..
          Ronuel
          MCP

Comment

I think that should do it for you. Check out this article before and after your change to verify things are configured correctly: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true

Comment

Working...
            X