Inhouse Website for Printer Installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inhouse Website for Printer Installation

I am looking to implement easy printer installation option in the environment. We have about 2000 users in 2 locations [6 floors in one location, 3 floors in other location].

We have lots of printer moves across the organization and it becomes a pain to install printers individually on each user's machine after the moves.

I am looking for a solution where I can divide my organization into zones (eg. north/ south quadrants, based on floors). What I am looking to do is have a website, where users can select their location/ floor/ quadrant. Identify the printers closest to them, click on the printer and install it for their use.

This will eliminate the IT department's headache involving printer installs.

I have seen this somewhere, but cannot remember is this was an off the shelf solution, or an in-house developed website.

Can anyone point me in a direction how to achive this?

Eg. http://orgprinters.org.com
    Select Location
    Select Floor
    Select Quadrant

This should show them the printers near to their location.
    The user should just click on the printer and it will install it on the user's machine.

Thanks

Re: Inhouse Website for Printer Installation

Hi

One way would be Web-based printing, like this link explains: http://technet2.microsoft.com/window....mspx?mfr=true
    The other one, which I am keen to implement myself is to Create a HTA script that can include the following VBscript:

Code:
    Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\PrinterServer\PrinterShare"
    WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\PrinterServer\PrinterShare"
    Any suggestions on the HTA script for multiple printers based on the script above will be welcomed.

Ta
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

hta option looks good. That is another good option. I always thought that HP had some customizable tool/ utility that would detect printers in the environment. We could then modify that to create a visual floor plan and plug-in the printer locations.

I dont think we have the web printing enabled. I can look into it.

Thanks

Comment

Yes, it's Webjetadmin if that's what you are referring to.
        Current version is 10, and I had a quick look at it the other day but it was a bit too much going on in there for us and I gave up exploring it after a few days, as we already have another print management solution in place and most of our printers aren't HP. I did find that some info wasn't correct in some non HP printers. On the positive note, there was loads of options in there plus data stored on a SQL database backend and the frontend accessible through the browser
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

wouldn't this

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...chNet.10).aspx

do the trick??

Comment

Ronald, could you check that the URL is correct. I am unable to connect at this point in time and I have noticed that it has ( parenthesis ) in the URL and am wondering if that is part of the problem (of course it could be my crap Internet connection). Thanks.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Ronald, could you check that the URL is correct. I am unable to connect at this point in time and I have noticed that it has ( parenthesis ) in the URL and am wondering if that is part of the problem (of course it could be my crap Internet connection). Thanks.
              I can connect fine to that site, it's an technet article on how you can make users in youre active directory find the printers closest to their location.

Best Practices for Deploying Printer Location with Active Directory
              Published: May 03, 2002
              Abstract

Microsoft Windows 2000 introduces a new feature that allows clients to find printers that have been published in the Microsoft Active Directory service. To make it easy for your users to take advantage of this feature and locate printers based on their name, location, and other criteria, you must create a consistent location schema for your print organization. This white paper outlines some best practices for creating and maintaining a useful location schema for systems integrators, administrators and architects who are planning, deploying, or managing Windows print servers.
              maybe you have an other source for the same tutorial.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. It just seemed that all the solutions were more complicated. We have an inhouse developer who started working on the in-house website.

We have started creating a website - with layout for our floors and now in our tests, the user can go the website and click on the printer nearest to him/her, and it installs the printer using a vbscript.

User can also select multiple printers and those printers will get installed.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by aek View Post
                  Thanks for the suggestion. It just seemed that all the solutions were more complicated. We have an inhouse developer who started working on the in-house website.

We have started creating a website - with layout for our floors and now in our tests, the user can go the website and click on the printer nearest to him/her, and it installs the printer using a vbscript.

User can also select multiple printers and those printers will get installed.

Thanks
                  Aek,

This was the idea when I suggested the HTA script. I tried to do it but failed miserably. I have asked the Technets Scripting Guys for some help with it but I haven't heard anything back yet (maybe never will).
                  In the mean time do you mind sharing the source when it's finished?

Cheers
                  Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
                  X