Connect NAS server to Windows server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect NAS server to Windows server

I run my business out of my house. In my basement I have a Dell 2650 rack server. My office is on the 2nd floor of my house where all my router, firewall and switches are located. I have one network drop to the basement for the server.

The Dell 2650 has dual network interfaces and one interface is disabled. I bought a Dell 745n NAS server that I want to add to my domain. I want to put the NAS server in the basement and it is not possible for me to run a second drom from my switch on the second floor to the basement. I would rather not put a switch at the end o this drop for the new server. I have my own opinions about cascaded switches and latency.

Is it possible to use the second interface on the server and connect the NAS server directly to this? The network is SBS 2003 and RRAS is running by default. I am guessing I would have to use RRAS to bridge the two interfaces. Is this possible and how would I do it?

Ultimately, the NAS server is going to become one, large network share.

Thanks
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Connect NAS server to Windows server

yes you can, although, only the 2650 server will have access.
    if you really want to use RRAS instead of a cascaded switch, because of network performance issues... well, do reconsider

you can use the NAS box as DAS accessible to the 2650 only, and share it out through the 2650, but that is not the way NAS should work.
    ________
    Digital vaporizers
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:00.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

What are you suggesting then, cascading switches? Am I not forced to purchase a more expensive switch for proper performance even thow I will ultimately only need two connections?

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

even if you purchase a simple 8 port switch, and connect it to the first one with a cross cable, no uplink ports, you will get a better network performance from the NAS then if you had used RRAS and had all traffic router through the SBS server.

and that will keep your SBS server less loaded by processes and network traffic as well

btw, 2650 and 745N are very old, where did you get it in 2008?
        ________
        Alaska medical marijuana dispensary
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:01.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

OK, makes sense to me. The 2650 has been the backbone of my network for the last three years. The 745n I picked up reburbished ($1000) with new drives (160GB) because I needed some inexpensive storage on my network. It was cheaper than buying a new server or putting larger drives in the 2650.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X