No announcement yet.

Printer Management

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printer Management

Hi All,

We are going to put new 20 colour Printers in our Head and branch offices.
    So we got windows 2003 AD server.

I need to restrict some groups for printing colour and allow only black & white.

What is the best way to setup ? through the GPO?
    AusNetIT Solutions

Web Design | Web Hosting | SEO | IT Support

Re: Printer Management

You could set up multiple printer queues and configure one to print colour and the other B/W, then modify the permissions on each queue.

Of course the savvy users could alter the properties anyway and re-enable colour printing.

There is 3rd party software (PCounter springs to mind) which will audit and manage printing, including giving users a budget in pages or money.

Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

To change the printer properties, you need "Manage Printer" rights. On the colour printer, set the permissions to <group id> Print only; other groups will have no permissions to even add the printer, never mind print to it and change properties. On the B&W printer, set permissions to <authenticated users> Print... then everyone in the domain will be able to print, but not change properties.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

some good printers comes with managment software, whch you can put password for auditing and / or colour print rights...

again you can create a OU or group which have access to colur printers and rest to just black & white

the 3th party software mntioned by Ossian is a very good one as well, some of my clinets use it and they are very happy