server 2003 Shut down without administrative password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2003 Shut down without administrative password

is it possible to shut down windows server 2003 without the administrative password. Our consultant/administrator quit last Friday and now we need to shut down the server to have some electrical work done to out building.

I am not sure of the service pack level. The screen shows the administrative log in but we don't know the password. We would also like to power up the server again after the work is done.

Any help would be appreciated.

Re: server 2003 Shut down without administrative password

I think your a bit stuck there. There might be a GPO to do this but your gonna have to get onto the server to configure that option, or you could configure the GPO (If there is on) and set it to the OU the server is located in.

TBH, I would concentrate more on getting the administrator password. Can you not give the guy a ring and ask him?

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by jaguar88 View Post
      is it possible to shut down windows server 2003 without the administrative password. Our consultant/administrator quit last Friday and now we need to shut down the server to have some electrical work done to out building.

I am not sure of the service pack level. The screen shows the administrative log in but we don't know the password. We would also like to power up the server again after the work is done.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Doesn't have to be done with the administrator account, it can be done by someone who has administrator rights, you have to provide more info, is it an workgroup server or domain server??

Comment

I agree with M80arm, you would be better to sort out the missing password.
        Are you sure there are no other accounts that have admin rights? Have you tried any other accounts to logon to the server for example?

You can have a read of this to reset if this isn't the case.
        http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I have no experience with servers. I was asked to try and do something to regain control.

The server runs a program which uses the database Interbase 5.5. We have two other computers that can log on to use the database. I don't believe that there are any other accounts. As far as I know Interbase is the only program with our data in it.

I don't think we can ever get the administrative password back. The administrator/consultant is about a year behind on what was supposed to be a three month project and quit when the owner ask him for a realistic time frame was to complete the project. We were supposed to add six more computers to use the database and have an internet connection installed to all of the computers as well.

We have the data in a dos database as well and it was a large expense for out company to have it translated into the Interbase. We have been updating both databases but we had hoped to switch exclusively to the new system.

What would be the most probable thing to happen if I just pulled the plug and would it likely still work if I turned it back on?

Comment

What would be the most probable thing to happen if I just pulled the plug and would it likely still work if I turned it back on?
            All the lights and sounds from the server would cease abruptly
            (A very low probability that the server might start singing "Daisy, Daisy" as you do this )

There is a good chance that turning it on will be OK, especially if you do sensible things like logging off / shutting down all clients first. Without knowing more about whats happening on it, its difficult to say, though.

You could then try the admin password reset, since you appear to have nothing to lose at this stage.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

did you disable "close system without log on" in secpol.msc>local policies>security settings enable it

Comment

Best case scenario : The server AND database startup fine when you turn it on again.

Worst Case Scenario : The Database is not closed properly and without the admin account and/or acces to DB backup's you could lose lot's off data.

Many DB's don't like being stopped like that.

Please describe the kind of serverhardware you have (i.ow. is it an 'real' server with multiple power supply unit's or is it an desktop promoted to server?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
                  I agree with M80arm, you would be better to sort out the missing password.
                  Are you sure there are no other accounts that have admin rights? Have you tried any other accounts to logon to the server for example?

You can have a read of this to reset if this isn't the case.
                  http://www.petri.com/reset_domain_ad...er_2003_ad.htm
                  Or, from a link on that page, try this :
                  http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/

I've used it a lot at my new place as none of the servers / workstations were documented and I had to sort out the passwords.

Having to pull the plug on a server isn't the end of the world, but as others have said, the database will probably be the biggest risk. If it's fairly new hardware then it will more than likely survive and I'm sure your consultant documented the server recovery process just in case?

You could try and use the 'shutdown' command from a dos prompt on another computer to shutdown or reboot the server manually, not sure if you'll need the admin password to do that though, so catch 22 if you do! (Type shutdown /? at the command prompt for info).

Good luck!

Comment

there are many softwares & articles that shows you how to change a admin password or which will do it or you automaticly...
                    the question here is , if you are not experinced who is going to do that ?

In your case i would not plug off the power bcause the database can die, most probably not but 1 % is big in your case to possible business stop

if I am not wrong there are some articles here in Petri's web page as well ( of course legal ways )

Comment

Depending on the hardware you could just press (not hold in) the power button and this then initiates a clean shutdown, but DO NOT take this for granted, hard to know without the hardware spec and OS details.

Topper
                      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Can't you call the admin and ask him for the password???

Comment

You could try an interactive shutdown (forcing the apps to close) using the shutdown command;

shutdown /i -f
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your help and comments. I apologize for wasting your time. We ended up chaining together several 100 foot extension cords and plugging them into the company next door.

Despite the consultant avoiding our calls and then leaving fake passwords on the answering machine, we have allowed the consultant/administrator to continue working and we still don't have the passwords.

Comment

Ronald,

Did you ever get this resolved? I do have some ideas for your database that could prevent this from happening again.

Feel free to contact me through email at REMOVED BY MOD

DOS databases are a thing of the past along with even the newer version you are trying to get into but there is a free software platform that is multi-user you can use and it can be a low cost solution either in-house on a low-end server or offsite that you can access securely.
                              Last edited by biggles77; 28th October 2008, 11:55. Reason: Live email address moved and this old thread now being monitored.

Comment

Working...
                              X