Folder and Files not sort correctly

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder and Files not sort correctly

Hi since a few days we found a little problem with our windows 2003 R2 sp2 file sharing server. In some folders that users access with windows xp sp2, their folders and file in some directory are not sorted correctly. If we go on the server directly, the same problem happened. I joined you a picture of the problem. We tried to sort the folder but nothings work. We tried reseting folder options and the problem persist

On my vista i dont have the problem. It seem to be only on xp and 2003

Please i really need help since my users dont stop complaining about this problem

Thank !
    Attached Files

Re: Folder and Files not sort correctly

Does it sort correctly by any other category or does each category (size, type, date modified, etc.) show problems?
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

Yes i have the problem even if i sort them by type

Comment

This is a bit of a stab in the dark. Have you run a "chkdsk /f /r"? One of the things that comes to mind is if somehow the MFT is corrupted.

Read more about chkdsk here.

Of course, here's a good Google search as well.
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Ok ill try it and let you know

Comment

Ok i did the chkdsk /f /r command on my D drive and the problem persist

Any other idea ? I ca't find anything on google

Comment

I've looked more into the possibility of some kind of MFT problem. Apparently, a simple chkdsk won't do a thing (like I said, that was a stab in the dark). You could try chkdsk /f /r on C: just to say that you did it.

Here's an interesting idea. Copy the drive's contents to another disk and see if the problem persists on the other drive.

The drastic fix would be to move all of the files to another disk (while retaining ACLs on the files and folders!!! Look into a utility to do this for you like RoboCopy), reformat the old partition (I think you said it was 'D'), and then move the files back to the fresh D.

Yeah, that's kinda drastic. Make sure you have good backups, images and a three day weekend just in case.

Other than that, I'm stumped. =(
              Wesley David
              LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

You also could try (also a bit stab in the dark) booting into the recovery console and run fixmbr.
                Although I don't think it would help....
                Last edited by Dumber; 20th June 2008, 22:14.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

fixmbr sounds extreme.

Is XP patched to recent levels (less SP3)?

Semi-related issue:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318872

Also, are the regional and language settings correct on these XP machines?

I take it you've done all the "Tools/Folder Options/View/Apply to All Folders" and "Reset All Folders" bits plus messed w/ making the PC look like a Mac ("View/Icons" vs. "View/Details" and "View/Arrange Icons by/Name").

Also, have you unchecked "Tools/Folder Options/View/Advanced settings/Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" to see if there is a whacky desktop.ini in that directory?

EDIT: It intrigues me these are all compressed files and directories. Do you have this issue with any uncompressed locations?
                  Last edited by rvalstar; 7th July 2008, 22:25.
                  Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Working...
                  X