Windows 2003 Domain Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Domain Server

I have 2 sites both belonging to the same domain. However the domain controller in the second site needs to be completely replaced. There are about 25 users and i would like to know the best way in doing this change over. Please can anyone advise me.

- Build new server
    - DC Promote
    - Move roles (if it is infrastrucure master etc)
    - Replicate (leave for a few hours)
    - Ensure DNS is moved over if it is on server to be replaced
    - Move any other roles

- Switch off server... is all ok? Leave for a week if still ok i would say you are about ok.

Have I missed anything else chaps
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

> Have I missed anything else chaps

Let's see

- The new DC should be a GC
      - if the new DC as another IP, all DNS references (DHCP + static) need to be updated

> Switch off server... is all ok?

DON'T forget to demote the old server at some point!

Comment

Hey come on wkasdo, im trying to help, if i ve missed a step out, which i have then state, no need to make me look stupid.

Don't turn these forums into every other forum on the net where people are flamed for the slightest thing. It would have been worse if i hadn't have asked if there was anything ive missed.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Tonyyeb
          Have I missed anything else chaps
          Tony don't take it as a personal dig, you did ask if you missed anything. Remember, this isn't a contest.

Also, I'm sure you can find posts where I've missed things or have been flat out wrong. When someone points it out to me I don't accuse them of attempting to make me look stupid. I take note, suck it up and move on.
          Andrew

Comment

I wasn't bothered that i had missed something, i was sure i had, it was the shocked smiley that annoyed me making to it out to be obvious what i'd missed. Generally i learn and move on, no ones perfect and i appreciate it isn't a contest. I don't treat it like one. I'm just trying to help.

But i take your comments on board and i hope great support from everyone on these forums continue.
            Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Tony, I had no intention of hurting anyone's feelings. I am really sorry that you misunderstood me, I was just trying to make a joke. I see now how it could be taken the wrong way.

No-one doubts your contributions to this forum, least of all me.

Comment

No problem wkasdo. I think i may have overreacted but thanks for the comments.

Thanks for putting me straight though, i hope the next time the question is asked i can answer it fully!

Im glad we can all get along!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                X