Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prevent Windows 2003 DC from registering "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" Record.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent Windows 2003 DC from registering "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" Record.

Hi All -

We have several Windows 2003 DCs running in a Windows 2003 Native Mode environment. We also have a Window 2003 DC running as a Global Catalog server. Does anyone know how to prevent the Global Catalog server from registering the "(Parent As Parent Folder) Host A" record on the internal DNS? Whenever it does that, the clients will consider it as one of the DNS servers, and this cause problem. When I run the Nltest.exe command, this server shows up in the DNS server list:
    C:\Documents and Settings>nltest /DNSGETDC:abcd.com
    List of DCs in pseudo-random order taking into account SRV priorities and weights:
    Non-Site specific:
    bassdc02.abcd.com 10.30.20.31:389
    bassdc03.abcd.com 10.30.20.35:389
    bassdc04.abcd.com 10.30.20.45:389
    The command completed successfully

Thanks,
    JJ

Re: Prevent Windows 2003 DC from registering "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" Record.

Originally posted by ttt123 View Post
    Hi All -

We have several Windows 2003 DCs running in a Windows 2003 Native Mode environment. We also have a Window 2003 DC running as a Global Catalog server. Does anyone know how to prevent the Global Catalog server from registering the "(Parent As Parent Folder) Host A" record on the internal DNS? Whenever it does that, the clients will consider it as one of the DNS servers, and this cause problem. When I run the Nltest.exe command, this server shows up in the DNS server list:
    C:\Documents and Settings>nltest /DNSGETDC:abcd.com
    List of DCs in pseudo-random order taking into account SRV priorities and weights:
    Non-Site specific:
    bassdc02.abcd.com 10.30.20.31:389
    bassdc03.abcd.com 10.30.20.35:389
    bassdc04.abcd.com 10.30.20.45:389
    The command completed successfully

Thanks,
    JJ
    Have you checked the properties of the NIC, properties of TCP/IP, Advanced, tab DNS, checkmark at "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" ?

Comment

Re: Prevent Windows 2003 DC from registering "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" Record.

If I uncheck that option in the DNS, then nothing will get registered. I want only "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" not registered.

JT

Comment

Originally posted by ttt123 View Post
        If I uncheck that option in the DNS, then nothing will get registered. I want only "(Same As Parent Folder) Host A" not registered.

JT
        Don't know what you mean by "Same As Parent Folder" ...

Comment

The clients will only talk with DNS servers registered in either DHCP or in their ip settings.
          You don't need or want to change such settings with DNS.
          Last edited by Dumber; 12th June 2008, 14:10.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Working...
          X