Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Domain Controller

Hello everyone!

My name is Tommy and I want to introduce myself to the community.

I am currently building two domain contollers to take the place of the old ones I have. I know I need to tranfer FSMO rules and DHCP is there anything else?

Can I transfer FSMO rules in an active environment during the day? Or does it have to be an off hours project? It doesn't seem that complicated but I just want to be sure I am not missing any steps.

Any remarks or advise is greatly appreciated.

Re: New Domain Controller

I would do it after hours. I don't think there is anything else you would need to do,

Comment

Make sure you get DNS working:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/323383

RRAS?WINS?

Exchange server?

I have transferred roles live, but IO would recommend doing it after hours it takes about 5 minutes. Petri has a great article howto do all the roles.
      What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

What about Global Catalog? How do I transfer that?

Thank you for your advise I am definitely going to do it after hours.

Comment

I would recmommend putting the roles on the DC and not the GC if you are going to have two DC'S.

How-to Create a GC:
          From a domain controller click Start, then click Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Sites and Services.

In the console double-click Default-First-Site-Name.
          Double-click Servers and then double-click on the server that you want to act as a global catalog.

Right-click on NTDS Settings below that server and select Properties
          On the General tab, check the Global Catalog box to assign the role of global catalog to this server.

Restart the server.

Comment

Great information thank you very much.

Now do both domain controllers need to have global catalog? And is it better to have 1 server running all of the FSMO rules or both?

TY

Comment

Only one needs to be a GC per location. one server running FSMO

Comment

Ok great! I will make one DC run FSMO and the other run Global Catalog.

The only other concern I have is Exchange. Right now I have a server that is a DC and it also has exchange running on it. I am unsure what I need to do to keep exchange from breaking. I am going to uninstall AD on that server when my two new DC's are running FSMO and Global Catalog and then Im going to DC Promo down that server so it will just be a windows server running exchange 2007. I am just very afraid of what might happen to exchange when I do this. I guess there is somewhere in the management that points exchange to AD but I am unsure.

Can anyone shed some light on this.

Thanks for all your comments and advise all the feedback has been very useful.

Tommy

Comment

You cannot demote a DC with Exchange on it.

Comment

either keep the exchange server how it is and dont touch it, or move it to another server. Seembe has a great article on moving to a different server.

http://www.amset.info/exchange/migration.asp

Comment

So if a Domain Controller has Exchange on it you can't demote it?

Comment

Yes you can but it will break exchange in a big way.

Tom
                        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

That is unfortunate. I am moving to a hosted exchange environment so I will wait until all my mailboxes are set up. How does it break Exchange if you DC promo down a DC that Exchange is installed on? I totally believe that it would, I am just trying to understand why.

Thank you,
                          Tommy

Comment

No idea; I am repeating what I have heard here; maybe this will help?

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...=1&spid=global

Tom
                            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

exchage 2003 or exchange 2007 running on domain controller....

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...EXCHG.80).aspx
                              rgds

Comment

Working...
                              X