No announcement yet.

Drive Mappings?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive Mappings?

This is a 2003/XP domain with active directory. I have the desktop folder redir enabled. I want a folder on the xp desktop named "Backup" to let users know the data in this folder will be backed up on the server. The folder's target should be pointing to a mapped drive with the individuals username folder. I know it would be easier to do this by a my docs redir, but I dont want it to be the default location bc of so much junk that is saved. Anyway, how would I have it when the user logs in to the domain it creates them a folder with their username on the server's drive and then have the desktop "Backup" folder point to their created folder? Let me know if more info is needed, thanks in advance.

Re: Drive Mappings?

In active directory users and computers, select the user then go to the profile tab.

You can choose to map a drive down at the bottom under home folder point to maybe "P" drive then in the path it is something like \\servername\sharename\%username%

Tell your users to put their items on the "P" drive

You could do the same thing in your login script net use
    P: \\servername\sharename\%username%

You could use a script that places a shortcut folder on there desktop.

Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
      Set objNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
      strUserName = objNetwork.UserName

strPath = "\\server\Users\"
      If objFSO.FolderExists(strPath & strUserName & "\Backup") = False Then
      objFSO.CreateFoler strPath & strUserName & "\Backup"
      End If

Set objShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
      strDesktop = objShell.SpecialFolders("Desktop")

Set objShortcut = objShell.CreateShortcut(strDesktop & "\Backup.lnk")
      objShortcut.TargetPath = strPath & strUserName & "\Scans"
      objShortcut.Description = "Backup Folder."
      objShortcut.WorkingDirectory = strDesktop

Thanks for the info stylus and derk, I'll give it a shot.

I have 2 issues or questions.

The drive mapping .bat, on the first map, net use H: \servername\StaffHome\%username% , its asking for a username and password. But the second map, net use S: \servername\staffshare , works fine. I guess its a permission problem because I manually created the username folder in H: and it worked correctly. The share permissions on staff is change and ntfs permissions is modify, thats all they need right?

For the desktop vbs script, its saying logon failure. I have the desktop redirected to a share thats read only by the users. Is the vbs script creating the shortcut there, if so, is there a way to include a username password for a user that has writeable rights? I changed strPath to = "\\servername\StaffHome\" , is this the correct change, are there anymore areas I should change for my environment?

Thanks again.

It sounds like you want to change the permissions on your "staffshare" folded so that all domain users will have read and write access.

On each individual username that user will need read and write access to their individual folder.

On each shared folder you right click and go to security, go to the sharing tab and hit the permissions button, give everybody full access. Then on the security tab click add and type in there who you are trying to add if it is Joe User and his user name is "JUser" you can just put "Joe" or even "J" and it will offer suggestions when you click ok