Cannot Give Permission to Folder for Access from Other Computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot Give Permission to Folder for Access from Other Computers

I have a network set up with a server and 5 client computers (networked as workgroup).

I've created folders in the server for clients.
    However, I want to restrict folders so they are accessed only by certain client computers (ex. client a); in addition, I also want to restrict them so only a specific user from a specific client computer is able to access the folder (ex. \\client_a\john).

Problem: When I go the the folder's Share tab and click 'Permission' it doesn't allow me select users from a location different than the server itself. I can't look for users in other computers in the network.

How do I solve this?

I'm using Widows 2003 SP2

PS: If the number of clients is expected to grow to about 50 within the next two years...is it advisable to set up the network as domain?

Thanks for help.

Re: Cannot Give Permission to Folder for Access from Other Computers

Since your using a workgroup you will have to add the accounts of all users as local users on the server and ensure the password is the same on the server and their client. If You were in a Domain using Active Directory then all users would be stored centrally within AD and it would be much easier to maintain.

Hope this helps

** Note - Accidentally moved to the SBS forum - reported to admins to move to the windows 2003 forum **

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Duly moved!!

TIA

Steven Teiger [SBS-MVP(2003-2009)]
      http://www.wintra.co.il/
      sigpic
      Iím honoured to have been selected for the SMB 150 list for 2013. This is the third time in succession (no logo available for 2011) that I have been honoured with this award.

We donít stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Comment

sorry but I don't follow.

Are you saying that if I create a local user account (ex. user: john, pass: xxx) on the server, and i create the exact same user name and password on one of the clients computers I would be able to access the server's shared files for that user?

thanks

Comment

Because you are in a workgroup you don't have any centralised administration.

Because you create a user account on the server you WILL need to create the same account with the same password on the client.

IF you had a domain you would create a user account on the server and the user then uses that account to logon to the DOMAIN.

At the moment they are logging onto the local machine.

And to answer your second question YES if there is potential growth then i would recommend you move to a domain enviornment. Have a look at SBS.

Comment

OK,
            thank you.

Any good tutorials about SBS?

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
              OK,
              thank you.

Any good tutorials about SBS?
              I have no idea as i've never used it.

Comment

Working...
              X