No announcement yet.

Administrator Cannot Access Network Folders

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Administrator Cannot Access Network Folders

In my previous post, No 'Previous Versions' tab for Shadow Copy via Local, i found out that in order to see 'Previous Versions' tab when right clicking a shared folder that is being shadow copied i had to use \\server name\shared folder name.

However, I still cannot test the shadow copy because I cannot access any of the shared folders under \\server even though i'm logged on as administrator and I granted everyone full control both under the 'permissions' button in the Shared tab and under the Security tab.

I shared administrator's 'my documents' and, even though I'm logged as administrator, i still cannot access this folder.

When I try to access the shared folders though the \\server, even though I see the folders I cannot access them. I get the message "\\server\my docs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network location cannot be reached. For more information about network troubleshooting, see windows help."
    This message doesn't make sense because I'm logged on as administrator and just to make sure I also gave everyone full control with the "permissions' button under "Sharing" tab.

PaulH mentioned something about NTFS permissions too...not sure what that means or how to go about doing it.

server is set up as workgroup

thank you everyone
    Last edited by HotDay2222; 3rd June 2008, 23:10. Reason: detials

Re: Administrator Cannot Access Network Folders

OK...fixed this too.

I was getting confused between Shared Permissions under 'Sharing Tab' and Permissions under 'Security' Tab.

Shared Permission by default creates read access to everyone....however, that still should have allowed administrator to access the folder. Nonetheless, added administrator and user1 under shared permissions with full control.

Permissions under 'Security' is for when folders are to be accessed locally, not through network.....ahh...lack of knowledge sucks.

Re: Administrator Cannot Access Network Folders

Just as an add in to this. I alwawys setup my share permissions with Everyone Full/Control then tighten via the NTFS permissions.