Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No 'Previous Versions' tab for Shadow Copy via Local

-The server is set up as workgroup.
    -Currently there are 5 users with access to the computer (1 administrator + 4 restircted users). Users have access to their account through 'Remote Desktop'.

I have 3 HDs.
    One of them (c I have installed the OS. The other two (D are Mirrored RAID.
    I want to Shadow Copy the 'My Documents' folder of each user.

What I did:
    Shared each users' 'My Documents' folder. Even though these folders are on (C I pointed the Shadow Copy to store the shadow copies on (D - since its backed up.
    I went to Local Properties of (C and clicked 'Create Now' under the Shadow Copies tab. I know the shadow copies are being created because I looked in the 'volume System Information' folder of (D, where I pointed the shadow copies to save. So everything seems OK from the writing end.

To test the shadow copies:
    I go back to administrators "My Documents' and change on the files (useless test files) and save it. I right-click and go to the files Properties but I don't see the 'Previous Versions tab that is supposed to show up. I do the same thing for the 'My Documents' folders and they too don't have the previous versions tab.

What is going on..what am I doing wrong?

I read somewhere I had to install the twclient.exe file (under system32 folder) and did that...but i don't think that changes anything because from my understanding that only applies when i wanted to access the shared folder through a different computer on the network that has a different OS system.

I don't have a network set up. Its just a server where employees work from home and use their computer to log on to the server through "remote desktop'.

Also, I read somewhere about the folder having to be a network folder or something of that sort....I didn't really understand what that meant - just mentioning it to provoke ideas/thoughts.

Please help.
    thank you
    Last edited by HotDay2222; 3rd June 2008, 21:48. Reason: more details

Re: No 'Previous Versions' tab for Shadow Copy via Local

You will not see shadow copies, i.e. the previous versions tab, by browsing around your local machine's hard drives C or D or whatever.

You have to browse via a UNC path, so yes you got the right direction to your question in the last part of your post!

What that means is that if you have a server called "SERVER1" and a shared folder which shares out D:\MyData and the share name is called "MyData" then you must browse to \\SERVER1\MyData and then if you right click files or folders, you will see shadow copies, i.e. you will see the Previous Versions tab.

If you browse to D:\MyData you will not see previous versions.

You can browse to such a UNC path either on the server iself, and that works just fine, or onto any client PC that has the tsclient software installed on it.

To browse to a UNC path just type in the double backslash, then the server name, then a single backslash then the share name - type that lot into any explorer window address bar, or click Start then Run then type it in.

Oh and by the way - they are scheduled to do a copy by default every 07:00 AM and 12:00 noon, so you can change a file lots of times between 1pm and 3pm and yet you'll still only get one version. You have to wait past the 7am or 12noon cycle for it to work.
    Last edited by PaulH; 3rd June 2008, 22:03.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
      Oh and by the way - they are scheduled to do a copy by default every 07:00 AM and 12:00 noon, so you can change a file lots of times between 1pm and 3pm and yet you'll still only get one version. You have to wait past the 7am or 12noon cycle for it to work.
      I though that going to Local Disk Properties and clicking "create now' under the Shadow Copies tab takes care of this. I essentially told it to create the copy now so i can change the files and test it.

However, I ran into a snag....when I try to access the shared folders though the \\server, even though I see the folders I cannot access them. I get the message "\\server\my docs is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network location cannot be reached. For more information about network troubleshooting, see windows help."
      This message doesn't make sense because I'm logged on as administrator and just to make sure I also gave everyone full control with the "permissions' button under "Sharing" tab.
      I can't even access the Administrator shared folder....and i'm logged in as administrator.
      Last edited by HotDay2222; 3rd June 2008, 22:36. Reason: clarification

Comment

Yes you're right about the "Create Now" bit. Sorry I wasn't paying attention! It's been a long day...

Now, onto permissions: Well, you may have set the share permissions to "Full Control" but have you also set the NTFS permissions too? You'll find these on the Security tab. Perhaps each user has exclusive use of that folder, and this would be achieved by that folder having NTFS permissions that did not allow even Administrator to get in. This can be the case even when the share has full control for everyone.
        Best wishes,
        PaulH.
        MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Thank you PaulH.
          I will take the permissions issue to a new thread.

Comment

Working...
          X