Invalid access to memory location after upgrading from 2000 server to 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invalid access to memory location after upgrading from 2000 server to 2003

I am attempting to upgrade a 2000 member server (SP4 + 2003 Exchange SP2) to 2003 Standard OS. The DC is 2003 Standard SP2.

Once the upgrade completes (no problems), on reboot I receive the logon screen. When I try to logon, I get "Invalid access to memory location" with unable to login to user profile so logging into default profile instead. But, then get loop back to logon screen. I get this with both the domain and local administrator accounts.

I can boot into safe mode and logon successfully to both the domain and local administrator accounts.

I have dropped the server from the domain and then rejoined the domain. Then I get an error that I cannot logon to the domain because the domain is unavailable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Invalid access to memory location after upgrading from 2000 server to 2003

Hii

The error mentioned seems to point us towards address conflicts...Since u mentioned that u can login in safe mode..I wud suggest u disable all third party services using msconfig and give it a short...

I remember seing this problem after upgrade and I had to uninstall CA arcserver as it wz causing the issue...May be ur using it or not but it may be some third party service...

Regards

Fazal
    Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Hi kvrayner
      There is some simular problem reported by MS on 64-bit systems.
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833620
      Versions of your system is 64-bit?
      Also Fazal mention third-party software, i just suggest to start with temporary removing any Anti-virus software.
      Regards
      Denis Laskov
      MCSA/E - CWNA - CCNA

Comment

Thanks dlaskov. I also found that post and even though I am not using 64 bit OS it sounds valid. SInce it also refers to applications, fazal may be right. I do have ArcServe and also SQLserver 2000 (which I was suspicious of). I will disable one at the time to see if it is one of those (or could be conflicting each other a/c database).

Regards

Comment

Happy Days!

Thanks Fazal. You were right on the money. I uninstalled Arcserve (ver 9) before I started the upgrade (again) and viola - SUCCESS!!

KVR

Comment

Ur most Welcome KVR n Thanks for posting that the solution worked...

Regards

Fazal
            Fazal Zaidi
            MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL

Comment

Working...
            X