Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection of MS-DOS workstation to file-server by Windows Server 2003 or SBS 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection of MS-DOS workstation to file-server by Windows Server 2003 or SBS 2003

I need to connect MS-DOS users to Windows Server 2003 as workstation. I need the file-server service only (open, save, change and delete files on the network shared directory or drive).
    I have got the new server PC and SBS 2003 licence but it is not installed completely. There is only the basic OS Windows Server 2003 and "W2k mixed" domain installed on this server PC because full instalation of SBS 2003 migrates domain level to "W2k Native" automatically.
    I have tried to connect from MS-DOS6.22 with Windows for workgroups 3.11 enviroment. New user has been created with power access privileges and the special directory has been shared for this one or everyone user on the server 2003. If I have tried to connect the network shared directory by using W311 File manager and I have written correct login name and Password then network drive was mapped but it was not functional. It was written "Disk read error" in the window of this mapped drive. If I have tried to copy some file from local directory to this mapped drive then I have got the error message "Access denied". If I have written bad login name or pasword during the network drive mapping process then I get error message "Access denied". That means the pasword verification is made but the contents of shared directory on the server is not made accessible. If I have shared some local directories on the W311 machine and I have tried to connect to it from the Server 2003 side then is no problem. I am able to open, save, change or delete all files on W311 shared directories but I do not need this direction of operation (Server 2003 as workstation and W311 as file-server|. I need to use opposite direction i.e. MS-DOS machine as workstation only.
    I suppose the problem relates to the domain authentification of the DOS klient. First i tested it with domain level "W2k Native" with same bad result. Then I have studied more information about this problem and I have decided to reinstall Server 2003 with lower domain level "W2k mixed" because native level use Kerberos authentification protocol only. Mixed domain level uses NTLM authentification protocol too. I supposed the problem is just the Kerberos. Maybe I somehow have to activate NTLM on Server 2003 or I need to do something other? I have tried to connect to NT domain from W3.11 but the domain controller has not accepted valid login name or pasword for my DOS user.

If somebody knows solution of this problem or has got some experiences with connecting DOS klients to Server 2003 recommend me what can I do, please.

Re: Connection of MS-DOS workstation to file-server by Windows Server 2003 or SBS 200

MS-DOS (and for that matter, Windows for Workgroups) is not capable of authenticating to a Kerberos or NTLMv2 environment. You would have to change the configuration of the server's authentication to such a loose one that authentications would be essentially obsolete, if it was possible to achieve at all. I suggest copying the files to a less obsolete client OS (e.g. Windows 98SE with AD extensions) or to a current client OS (Windows XP, Vista) and running whatever process you are running from there. DOS will only go as high as NTLM; (if you have the necessary tools on it) but the default session settings for Windows Server 2003 is to always digitally sign authentication traffic etc and DOS simply isn't supported.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Re: Connection of MS-DOS workstation to file-server by Windows Server 2003 or SBS 200

By default Server 2003 does not enforce NTLMv2, it works with NTLM.

You need to disable SMB signing.

Set Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) to Disabled

Comment

Meekrobe,
        Thanks for your tips. I try to disable SMB singing if it is possible.

Stonelaughter, thanks for your tips but unfortunately they are not useful for me. I explain you why.
        I can not run the MS DOS aplication programms in DOS windows on NT-family operating systems because they not support real MS DOS enviroment they emulate it only. My MS DOS machines are used for technological process real time control. The old technological PC's includes special technological ports cards and the OS must be able to control all HW ports directly. In addition the DOS application uses extended memory with non-standart mode. It have got own memory manager it does not use any himem.sys or other. Of course this DOS aplication is not able to run in NT-family cmd window with full functionality. Win-NT OS's not allows direct access to HW ports and memory. I must find out some solution for connecting native MS DOS workstation to Windows Server 2003.
        I have some experiences with running this DOS aplication in DOS window in W9X. The direct access to HW port is OK but to Extended RAM not. These is impassable way of solution too.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
          By default Server 2003 does not enforce NTLMv2, it works with NTLM.

You need to disable SMB signing.

Set Microsoft network server: Digitally sign communications (always) to Disabled
          Meekrobe,

I have disabled SMB and now the network drives are operated correctly in WFWG311 and in MSDOS622 too.

Note for other readers:
          this theme is detailed described in article of MS knowledge base Q823659. There are not explicitly mentioned workstation with OS MS-DOS 6.22 or WFWG 3.11 but obviously is valid the same as for W95 or W98.
          see more: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823659

Thanks for your tip.

Best regards

Vladimir Tichavsky, Slovak Republic

Comment

Working...
          X