DFSR with Windows 98

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFSR with Windows 98

I have a customer who still has some Windows 98 machines (Sigh). I plan to install a secondary Windows 2003 R2 server. This server will use DFSR to replicate files between each server.

Now, I do not plan to be pointing the machines to the DFSR Name Space (\\domain\Public). Instead they will map to old UNC names of the server (\\Server01\SharedFolder).

Will the fact that these folders are DFSR folders affect the way that the Windows 98 machines read from the drives?

Hope that makes sence?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: DFSR with Windows 98

A DFS share can be accessed via the UNC name of the sharing server as long as either (a) it's a Windows or SAMBA share or (b) it's a SAN share with CIFS enabled.

The only impact is that if you move the target, obviously anyone using UNC paths will need to remap to the new destination.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Thanks.

I just loaded up a Virtual Machine of Windows 98 and connected it to my test domain. It seems to work ok. The only thing is files created from Windows 98 in the share are showing a 1999 creation date stamp 0_o
      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Wasn't there a DFS Client add-on to Windows 98SE?

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Yep there is.

Comment

Wouldn't that address your needs without too much trouble, and stop them needing to use UNC paths?

Tom

Comment

I don't fancy going around all their Windows 98 machines. I have enough to do in the 8 hrs allocated to the job

Comment

True - but users run logon scripts; and I'm pretty sure that the DFS client install is simple enough to run via a script. If it needs user interaction you could send out instructions by email beforehand...

Tom

Comment

DFS-R in R2 is actually 2 things:

1) DFSN - DFS namespace which works the same as in W2K/NT4 from the client point of view
                  2) DFSR - the replication engine that replaces NTFRS - clients do not care about it.
                  Guy Teverovsky
                  "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

I don't need them pointing to a namespace. Reason being is the idea is really just to keep two copies of their data on two servers. The main reason I map them to namespaces is one of the folders is their accounts software. Its a flatfile database which will break the minute people start updating from different servers.

There is one other folder they could use but I told they have a Lotus Approach database in there

It doesn't matter anyway, the idea is to just replicate data between the two servers which it seems should be ok without having to alter anything at the end client.

Comment

Working...
                    X