File access to shares over LAN blows up WindowServer2k3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File access to shares over LAN blows up WindowServer2k3

One of the companies that we do IT for is running a Windows 2003 server and they have had a problem with it since long before we started doing their IT.

The server is just really being used as a file-server at this time (as we recently lightened it's load by migrating away from Exchange2003). The client computers access (and write) files to shares on the server and use a program that accesses a database that is on the server.

If someone leaves his or her computer for an extended period of time (an hour for lunch, for example) then it tends to be unable to reach any network resource on the server.

Below is an actual screenshot of the error that the user receives:

The majority of the computers are running Windows XP (professional), but a couple are running 2000 and couple 98. The problem affects all of the client computers on the network though.

Does anyone know why that would be doing that or what I can do to fix it? I've checked and I have enough client licenses (15 licenses and only 11 computers) but I'm not 100% sure that licensing isn't the problem.

If anyone could help me, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I've encountered a similar situation at work. We have an interface to a medical analyzer that operates over a serial connection. It is typically always sending / receiving results (the data is saved to a network location) but sometimes is disconnected in mid stream. We disable a few registry keys to keep Windows from disconnecting. Windows by default will disconnect from a network share after 15min of inactivity. Our problem is that even though it is actively transmitting Windows by design doesn't monitor data moving through a VDM (our analyzer is a console app) for inactivity. Your problem could also be related to this registry key, I've seen it disconnect and leave ghost sessions with files open on the server.

I suggest you disable the auto disconnect function on both the client and server - hopefully that will will keep it from disconnecting.

[HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters]
    "AutoDisconnect" = dword:ffffffff
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ahinson
      HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServe r\Parameters]
      "AutoDisconnect" = dword:ffffffff
      Thank you, I will try this.

Comment

Cool. Let me know how it works out.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X