DNS removal/reinstall not cooperating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS removal/reinstall not cooperating

Ive scoured the site for the answer for this, but being so new to Server2003 and AD, Ive yet to find the exact solution. So, I apologize for the duplication.

Ive got a single Win2003 Enterprise server, acting as PDC, running AD/DNS. DHCP is handled by a Cisco ASA 5505. Users can access the server resources, as well as external websites, but in order to access external sites, I had to configure external DNS along with internal server DNS on each client.
    Users are complaining of random, intermittent general slow-downs in LAN access to server resources.

In looking in the event viewer, I found there to be HUNDREDS of entries in the DNS Server section like this:

Event ID: 7062 Source: DNS
    The DNS server encountered a packet addressed to itself on IP address 192.168.0.2. The packet is for the DNS name "_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.lightsaber.local.". The packet will be discarded. This condition usually indicates a configuration error.

Ive read quite a bit about removing/reinstalling DNS, but have yet to be able to successfully remove DNS. When I remove/reinstall, the same settings are present. I used this process... to no avail:
    -remove dns in configure your server
    -remove dns folder from system32
    -in system32\config remove netlogon.dnb and netlogon.dns
    reinstall dns (configure your server) with the correct zone name
    then at the command prompt:
    ipconfig /registerdns
    net stop netlogon
    net start netlogon
    If someone could please either let me know how to fix the error, OR... properly remove/reinstall DNS... that would be great. Again, Im new to AD, so it seems I require a bit of a dumbed down advice.
    If any of you have stock in Advil... "your welcome".

Thanks !

Keith

Re: DNS removal/reinstall not cooperating

Can you run
    ipconfig /all
    from a command prompt and paste her (minus anything you don't want us to see) please.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Screenshot attached. Unfamiliar with cutting/pasting from within cmd line
      Attached Files

Comment

This is slightly

To copy text from cmd, open a cmd window, right click on the menu bar of the cmd window and select 'properties'. On the 'general' tab enable QuickEdit mode. Now, left click and drag through any text to select it. Then either hit the 'enter' button or right click the select text (don't click and hold, just click and let go). The text is now in the clipboard. You can now paste the text anywhere you want. Read more about it here.

There's another way to do this as well:

You can redirect the output of a command with the '>' character (beware, '>' will overwrite the file that you specify; '>>' will append). Read this article for some neat ways to utilize it. apparently you can also redirect to a printer! (I've never tried that though).

Example:

Code:
        ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt
        That will dump the output to a file that resides in your user profile folder.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Nonapeptide; 21st May 2008, 16:20. Reason: spelling
        Wesley David
        LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
        -------------------------------
        Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
        Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
        Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
        Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

Comment

DNS info is integrated into AD, reinstalling DNS won't touch that data. That's not your problem anyway.

You have clients setup with external and internal DNS servers. Why?

Have all clients look at your internal DNS server, then either configure Forwarders correctly or use the Root Hints.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedpear View Post
            Users can access the server resources, as well as external websites, but in order to access external sites, I had to configure external DNS along with internal server DNS on each client.
            You don't have to set up an external DNS server address on the clients for them to resolve external addresses. Point all of your clients to your internal DNS server. Then your internal DNS server should in turn point to itself for DNS resolution. When your DNS server gets a request that it cannot resolve, it uses it's root hints to go out and resolve the name.

You can also point your DNS server at an upstream DNS server such as your ISP or OpenDNS. Then when your clients look to your DNS server for name resolution, your server will first look to see if it is authoritative for the name in question and if not it will forward the request to the specific DNS servers that you have it pointing to.

Either way, It then caches the result that it receives for future reference so that it's not hammering the DNS root hints servers or your upstream DNS servers 10,000 times a day for 'www.Google.com'.

That may or may not affect your problem, but it can't hurt to give it a try.

P.S. I just realized that Meekrobe said essentially the same thing, but I don't want to erase everything I just typed.
            Wesley David
            LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
            Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
            Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide

Comment

Reconfigured all clients, all clients are now pointing to server only, server is passing DNS to external requests fine. Forwarders set to ISP DNS servers. Clients have access to internal/external resources. Although... still getting the error.
              I'm unclear on troubleshooting the Root Hints issue... please elaborate.

Incidentally... would an issue like this cause random performance issues ?

Keith

Comment

http://www.chicagotech.net/troublesh...ventid7062.htm

Try that.

Comment

Reconfigured all clients, all clients are now pointing to server only, server is passing DNS to external requests fine. Forwarders set to ISP DNS servers. Clients have access to internal/external resources. Although... still getting the error.
                  I'm unclear on troubleshooting the Root Hints issue... please elaborate.

Incidentally... would an issue like this cause random performance issues ?

Keith
                  Is it safe for me to assume that you've perused some basic Google searches? There's plenty of interesting articles on the 'net about this error.

One that stands out to me is this one from Experts-Exchange. Also of note is that the accepted answer has a link back to a thread in Petri.co.il/forums . It's like looking in a mirror looking in a mirror.

And what precisely do you mean when you say "I'm unclear on troubleshooting the Root Hints issue... please elaborate." Was there ever an issue with root hints in your environment or do you simply mean that you'd like to know more about the concept of root hints? Please elaborate. (Is there an echo in here? )

P.S. I just cross-posted with Meekrobe again.
                  Wesley David
                  LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

That is a safe assumption, and more times than not, Ive retrieved the same solution you've provided in that post from Experts Exchange.
                    Check the following areas for possible self-send configuration errors:
                    1) Forwarders list. (DNS servers should not forward to themselves).
                    2) Master lists of secondary zones.
                    3) Notify lists of primary zones.
                    4) Delegations of subzones. Must not contain NS record for this DNS server unless subzone is also on this server.
                    5) Root hints.

Neither my domain nor ip address is listed in the forwarders.

and in ref to Root Hints, I was only alluding to the fact that someone had stated "this may be an issue with Root Hints" My question was... what problem might that be, and how do I find it. And yes the concept of root hints is foreign to me.

Keith

Comment

and in ref to Root Hints, I was only alluding to the fact that someone had stated "this may be an issue with Root Hints" My question was... what problem might that be, and how do I find it. And yes the concept of root hints is foreign to me.
                      "Root hints" is typically a small text file that contains the IP addresses of the internet's main root nameservers. If your DNS server isn't authoritative for a domain and doesn't have the domain's IP cached, then it can send the request to top dogs of the DNS world... the root nameservers. They in turn pass the request off down to the more regional servers and on and on until someone has the answer cahced or is authoritative for it. Check out the wikipedia article for a more thorough discussion on the topic.

The only way that I can think that root hints might be causing your problem is if somehow maybe your own DNS server's address got into the root hints file (highly unlikely, but anything is worth a try at this point). Give this a try to update the root hints file.

Also, when you look at the DNS console for the zones that your server hosts, do you see a zone named "."? Go to Start >> Admin Tools >> DNS >> Expand ServerName >> click Properties >> expand Forward Lookup Zones.
                      Wesley David
                      LinkedIn | Careers 2.0

Comment

Can You PLEASE Name The Songs?

I'm trying to find this one particular song I heard on F-List (that top five music videos countdown that used to be on fuse) "fag bearing from China" episode, so it will be very helpfull if you named all five music videos from that episode so I may find it somehow. Thanks.

Comment

Here is a recent result of NSLOOKUP:
                          Keeping in mind... I do not have Zone Transfers set to "Allow".

> set querytype=any
                          > ls -d lightsaber.local
                          [lsp.lightsaber.local]
                          *** Can't list domain lightsaber.local: Query refused
                          The DNS server refused to transfer the zone lightsaber.local to your computer.
                          If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security settings for lightsaber.local on
                          the DNS server at IP address 192.168.0.2.
                          > set querytype=any
                          > ls -d lightsaber.local
                          [lsp.lightsaber.local]

Comment

Ive tried these solutions.. as close as possible.
                            Some of the solutions apply to Server 2000 and below, and therefore do not match.

But in trying some of these solutions, Ive seen many users just add the "offending" msdc record. In looking into this.. Ive noticed my MSDC folder is grey. The only entry within the folder is my NS mydomain.local.
                            This does not seem correct.

Comment

Here is a recent result of NSLOOKUP:
                              Keeping in mind... I do not have Zone Transfers set to "Allow".

> set querytype=any
                              > ls -d lightsaber.local
                              [lsp.lightsaber.local]
                              *** Can't list domain lightsaber.local: Query refused
                              The DNS server refused to transfer the zone lightsaber.local to your computer.
                              If this is incorrect, check the zone transfer security settings for lightsaber.local on
                              the DNS server at IP address 192.168.0.2.
                              > set querytype=any
                              > ls -d lightsaber.local
                              [lsp.lightsaber.local]
                              You need to add your client as a zone transfer server for that command to work.

Comment

Working...
                              X