No announcement yet.

Remotely control services and shutdown

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remotely control services and shutdown

Our office runs a network with a Windows Server 2003 server, and XP SP2 clients. There is no domain set up, only a workgroup.

I have been trying to use "SC.EXE" from the command line on the server, in order to start/stop services on the client computers, and also "SHUTDOWN /M" in order to remotely restart a computer. However, I keep getting "access is denied" errors.

for example; (computer/service names were changed)

C:\>shutdown /r /m \\pc_name
    pc_name: Access is denied.(5)
    C:\>sc \\pc_name start myservice
    [SC] OpenSCManager FAILED 5:
    Access is denied.
    Is this an indication that I am not logged in with Administrator permissions to the client machine? I have tried making sure, by using the following command beforehand - the username and password are the Administrator account:

C:\>net use \\pc_name [password] /USER:pc_name\Administrator
    The command completed successfully.
    But I still get the "access is denied" errors.
    Am I doing anything wrong? Or is there something that needs to be set up on the client machines first?

Re: Remotely control services and shutdown

Not being in a domain will make your administrative job hell, as you can see already. In your case, each machine, be it server or workstation, is a repository of its own users. Thus, to get to machine B from A, you need to use an admin account on B. To get to machine C from A, you need to use an admin account on C. Get the picture?

To remotely control a server or workstation, run Computer Manager from your workstation (right-click My Computer and select Manage). Once the Computer Manager is loaded, right click the top of the tree, "Computer Management (Local)" and click "Connect To Another Computer".

You can now manage disks, services, shares, view logs, etc, on the remote machine!

To make your life easier, create a user on all your machines with the same name & password. If you log on with that, then you should have access to all the other machines as well over the network.
    +-- JDMils
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades