Clustered IIS on Server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clustered IIS on Server 2003

I have searched the database here and googled already and most (if not all) answered referring to the NLB Documentation from Microsoft.
    But I also read that Microsoft says you supposed to use the "general script" resource on a Microsoft Cluster in order to cluster the IIS service but doesn't give more info in how to and how it works in general.

So my question is now : Do you NEED NLB in order to cluster a simple website ? The location of the website can obviously be on a storage resource, but what about the settings etc. ?

I know there are thousands of pages available on microsoft.com - but I hope someone has a simple how to as I might need to do this in a hurry

Re: Clustered IIS on Server 2003

you mean google didn't provide you with a step by step howto?
    ________
    SUZUKI TU250
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 18:50.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
      you mean google didn't provide you with a step by step howto?
      Not directly a how-to or step-by-step - no, otherwise I wouldn't post here obviously :P
      Unless I used the wrong search terms. Results pointing to forums result in something like

"this is a bad idea - use NLB" - or "it is not recoomended" .. things like that.

Believe me, before I make posts in forums myself - I do try to use

Other results referreing to Windows 2000 or upgrade from 2000 to 2003 clustered sites - but not a fresh install on 2003

Comment

Found something anyway

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887417

I didn't find anything on google but had to "pretend" I have tried it and failed. Then I thought about a problem which COULD come up and there you go ..

Comment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259267

but yes, NLB is the way to go with IIS.
          ________
          Buy No2 Vaporizer

Comment

This was a bit annoying .. Everybody and every KB points to NLB - I understand why etc., but a customer asked for IIS cluster so I had to look into it.

Microsoft does suppose a script called clusweb.vbs and I assumed it automates the whole IIS thing .. but no ... all it does is checking whether the www service is running upon failover and starts it when it is stopped.

So now at least it is clear to me and I can go to bed

Comment

what cluster? failover? what is the point in IIS running in failover mode?
              NLB provides the failover and LB as well, if the IIS service has a SQL backend, there is reason to run the SQL in failover mode, otherwise, it's simply a waste of resources.
              ________
              FERRARI 360 SPECIFICATIONS

Comment

As I said : I KNOW but as I also know a customer asked me to "cluster" IIS - I don't see the point either so you don't have to convince me !!

If you know the solution I would have appreciated an answer

Anyway - as I also said - its done now anyway .. thanks

Comment

might be some expensive third party stuff out there, but if it's resolved, then so be it
                  ________
                  SUBARU REX

Comment

Working...
                  X