Login as administrator but not user

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Login as administrator but not user

I am finishing up a new Server 2003 installation but when testing I find that I could logon to the domain as "Administrator" but when I try to logon under a "User" account from a workstation I get the message that "system cannot log you on because <domain> is not available". I am, however, able to login with a user account directly to the server

This is the only domain and there are about 12 workstations. It is set up as a DC with DNS installed. DHCP is not installed since DHCP is obtained from the router. All the settings are pretty much at the default settings. I know it must be a group policy or permissions issue but I really do not know what to look for or change.

Thanks

Bruce

Re: Login as administrator but not user

did you have a old server in this enviroment or is this a brand new install with all clients?
    What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

This is a new software installation in a new box but the network itself from the router back is existing hardware (the new DC was given the same name as the existing DC and and the the network cable from the router to server was just switched to the new DC for configuration after hours) The old and new DC's have never been online together.

Thanks

Comment

well im not going to go in technialities here, but how you did that isnt going to go as smooth as you think.

Since you dont have a big network and you are at this point, you need to log int he workstation and rejoing it to the domain, once rejoined reboot and try again.

What is going to happen is that your users are more than likely going to get a new profile so if that is a problem you will have to copy there existing profile to there new profile.

What should have been done, was making new server DC/GC and transfered the roles to it and let it replicate everything then take the old server down. But since you are in a small network that wont be too much a pain.

Comment

Please bear with me - I am not an IT professional (I know that probably is not apparent...) - my primary responsibilities are in the operating room and I just happen to be the least technologically inept person in our small physicians office)

We only have about a dozen users so deleting and recreating them is not problem. Are you suggesting I should I 1) delete all existing user accounts, 2) put the new server online and log as administrator from each workstation, 3) recreate all new user accounts, and 4) reboot the server and the workstations and then I should be good to go? Thanks again for your help.

Comment

well basically what you got going on here is a brand new install.

So what you need to do is create the domain users on that server (re create them) then rejoin them to the domain. (network id wizard). Also if it doesnt sucessfully join goto cmd prompt and release and renew the IP on the workstation. Once you rejoin them to the domain and log them in under there username it will create a new profile, dont freak nothing is lost you just need to go into documents and settings and copy there old profile over to there new one. best to do this after a reboot and log into the administrator account and copy old profile to new profile.

Comment

Originally posted by brucemorin View Post
              DHCP is not installed since DHCP is obtained from the router.
              Thats your problem right there. Client machines need to be using the DNS of the Windows Server. The client OS's use DNS to find authenticating DC's.
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
                Thats your problem right there. Client machines need to be using the DNS of the Windows Server. The client OS's use DNS to find authenticating DC's.
                he said the DNS was setup on the server

but if it isnt then that is a big problem.

Comment

Originally posted by GrantThomas View Post
                  he said the DNS was setup on the server

but if it isnt then that is a big problem.

Yes but if like most routers his DHCP will be issuing DNS setting that will point to the router and not the server.

I would remove the DHCP settings from the router and stick it on your server.

Your clients will then get this address from your server. From there ensure that you set your client settings correctly and voila you should start working.

Comment

Personaly I avoid DHCP on a server. Its such a simple service, leave it on a network device.

Just update it so it sends out the right info.

Comment

Basic routers won't let you change DHCP information. Personally I always use Windows DHCP servers since they offer more configuration that a router would.
                      Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
                        Personaly I avoid DHCP on a server. Its such a simple service, leave it on a network device.

Just update it so it sends out the right info.
                        Why???

You can configure a hell of a lot more in the Windows DHCP service than i have EVER been able to on a router.

Comment

I prefer the windows DHCP service as well. I am assuming he has the dhcp to send out the internal DNS or he would have had tons and tons of DNS issues before this new server.

Comment

Working...
                          X