xp client dns dyn update refused to 2003 ad-i dns

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp client dns dyn update refused to 2003 ad-i dns

Pretty much just finished up configuring my 2003/xp domain. The 2003 pc has active directory, dns, and dhcp installed together. Started testing out an xp machine, joined it to the domain, but its A and PTR record are not showing in DNS.

DNS Config
    -AD integrated, Secure only dyn updates
    -Seems to be correct SOA, NS records showing
    -I have 3 subnets 10.10.12.0, 10.10.13.0, 10.10.14.0 as reverse lookup zones ie 14.10.10, 13.10.10, 12.10.10.

DHCP
    -Enable dns dyn updates A and PTR if requested by client

With Wireshark on XP machine
    -noticed when running cmd ipconfig /registerdns:
    1.standard query SOA "xp's client name".domain.local ###should this be "2003 server name".domain.local?
    2.standard query response no such name
    3.dyn update SOA domain.local
    4.dyn update response refused cname

nslookup on xp seems to work fine, shows server FQDN and ip. I can ping by host name also.

Hope someone can help me out. If you need anymore info give me a shout. Thanks for any comments

Re: xp client dns dyn update refused to 2003 ad-i dns

Just an update, Ive ran dcdiag and netdiag with both showing passes. Im stumped at this point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Well another update, tried switching dynamic updates to nonsecure and secure. Reboot the xp machine and it registered its record. Deleted the record, changed dynamic updates back to secure. Reboot the xp and it still wouldnt register the record. Any thoughts on what would be causing this? Thanks.

Comment

Ok, final update. Figured out that the secure dyn update process occurred over tcp 53. Of course I had that firewall'd, so opened it up to the 3 zones and presto.

Comment

Working...
        X