No announcement yet.

full system restore to a windows 2003 server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full system restore to a windows 2003 server

A business friend of mind would like another identical Server (Hardware) to be built so that it could restore a full installation of the original server, programs and all. I will be used to take place of the original server in case there was another hurricane here in New Orleans or a fire at his office. Also they don't have access to some of the customized software's recovery CDs anymore and will not be able to purchase new ones in the future. If those programs become corrupt they would cause major problems. They are running a daily backup of the entire C:/ and on a Windows 2003 Server that has a RAID 1. This is the only domain controller on a 40-user network. My question is this: How do you do a full system restore to another identical server? I need some good expertís advice. Do you first run the Windows 2003 Server disk on the new identical server without installing Active Directory and then do a restore, which would then install Active Directory, programs, and everything else onto the new one? Or could I break the mirror set in the original server and use just place one of them in the new server, I need some help not sure what to do or how to do it?

Re: full system restore to a windows 2003 server

The first thing we need to make sure before system restore is we have the same hardware...excatly the SAME!same mother board,same processor(company).The hard drives should be of the same size exactly..same version controller drivers..

OK ..The complete installation needs to be done and the AD should be up and running.You then need to go to Directory Service Restore MODE(DSRM)..My suggestion here is that you first restore your system state as the system state would have the following files

>The boot files
    > The COM+ class registration database
    >The registry
    > The system volume (SYSVOL) (domain controllers only)
    >The Active Directory directory service (domain controllers only)

Once you boot to normal mode you will have AD up and running...Then u may restore rest of ur files...Check KB240363...

Breaking the mirror would not be a good option as then u would have to make changes to ur boot.ini and re-mirror them with a new drive.,,,I have never tried that I am not sure..

Fazal Zaidi
    MCITP-Windows 2008,Exchange 2010,MCTS-Exchange 2007,2010,Lync 2010,MCSE-2000,2003,MCSA-2003,2008,2012,MCP,MCSE -Messaging 2013,ITIL