Getting the internet to work for client computers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the internet to work for client computers

I cannot get the internet to work forthe client computers. i have windows 2003R2. i have the modem plugged into the extra NIC installed on my server and the other NIC plugged into the switch on my network. The internet has the auto ip and i gave thje local connection a ip of ip10.2.4.2 subnet255.255.248.0 gateway10.2.4.1 DNS10.2.4.2 i have the same settings on the client computer aswell except the ip is 10.2.4.5 there is no dhcp installed but a .local dns is. any help would be appreciated.

Re: Getting the internet to work for client computers

Let me see if I get it...
    You have a Win 2k3 with 2 NICs, one connected to the LAN and the other one to the modem, right?
    If that's the case, did you set the NIC to share connection?

Comment

im not sure how to do that but ill figure it out and try

Comment

You need to set the clients to use DHCP and then set the modem-connected NIC on the server for ICS. This will then automatically set the switch-connected NIC to 192.168.0.1 and make it a DHCP server for the clients.

Comment

ok so i installed the dhcp. made the scope ip range 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.254 but the server ip says its 67.186.39.247 or my internet ip. i cannot get a ip from the dhcp automatically

Comment

I was trying to paraphrase the steps you needed to take. Follow this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324286

Comment

yeah i have already done that. i cannot get the dhcp to work now.

Comment

ok, i set up a new superscope. i get a ip from the dhcp but no gateway or dns from the dhcp.

Comment

You should start from scratch because you shouldn't be manually setting up DHCP as ICS will do that for you. If you have DHCP installed on the server then remove it as ICS will take care of DHCP for you.

Comment

well. i had dhcp uinstalled. than you said i should have it on here. so i reinstalled it. ICS didnt give me ips automatically before

Comment

what should i set as the static ip for the server? or should i do that?

Comment

I don't think you should do that. The NIC connected to the modem should be set to get it's ip address from DHCP and it will get the actual ip address from the modem. The NIC connected to the switch will configure itself with an ip address of 192.168.0.1 and will configure itself as a DHCP server and give ip adresses to the clients and aslo will give them the default gateway and DNS server ip addresses.

Comment

ok. the dhcp is working now. i get a ip auto on the server from the dhcp it is ip192.168.0.2 subnet255.255.255.0 gateway192.168.0.1 and dns of 192.168.0.2. on the client computer end i got the same thing esxcept of a ip of .3 however i still cannot connect to the internet. ICS is set up on my computer. im pretty sure connection shareing is set up

Comment

ICS should be set up on the server only and not any clients. Because you are usimng a modem instead of DSL, Cable, etc. you may have to configure "dial on demand" on the server NIC that is connected to the modem. I've never used a modem with ICS (except with Windows 9 so I'm not sure exactly where to go but if you look at the properties of the ICS NIC you should find it.

Comment

im not useing a dial up modem. im useing a cable modem

Comment

Working...
                              X