Help: Creating a back up domain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Creating a back up domain

Hi guys.. know its possible to create a backup domain that is similar to the primary domain..but how do i do it?

For example i have a domain D1.com it has Active directory..DNS server and DHCP server.. I want to create a backup domain that is identical (where all users and computers in active directory of D1.com will also be there) to D1.com but i will name it as D2.com.. is that possible?

thanks...
    Ronuel
    MCP
    There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Re: Help: Creating a back up domain

You could somehow export users, sync them, etc, but why would you want to do that?

I mean, if D1 goes down, your computers are on D1...I don't think it would be seamless to logon to D2.

Just get enough domain controllers, and good backups of your Active directory.
    VCP on vSphere (4), MCITP:EA/DBA, MCTS:Blahblah

Comment

I agree with gepeto, if this is for user to log onto automatically it will not work. If it is just for testing etc then you could backup and restore while telling upper management about your DR tests (bonus points!). Or you could add a DC to your existing setup, sync it and then unplug it, cleanup the old domain and force the fsmo roles onto the new server then go through a domain name change (assuming we are talking 2003 here).
      cheers
      Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

This would require third party software such as DoubleTake.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

if i remeber right, use msbackup to do a system state

start a clean dc in authoritive restore and use the system state

!make sure theyre not connected!

then rename the new domain

or as said below add a secondary dc to the domain, replicate then disconnect

alternatively use the forrest and make trusts between your 2 domains
          Last edited by SML; 14th May 2008, 15:46. Reason: bored

Comment

I think this is more understandable question guys..

Ok here is the situation. We currently only have 1 DC, and I want to have some sort of backup DC for redundancy in case the primary DC goes down. Is this a secondary DC I need to add, or is it a replica DC? Or do those two terms mean the exact same thing?

I basically want a backup DC in case the primary goes down. I know I have to use dcpromo, but I am rather new at this and need to know what steps I need to take...

If someone could offer step by step instructions or a link, I would greatly appreciate it...
            Ronuel
            MCP

Comment

Hi there,
              it is very easy. What you need is windows 2003 machine. run dcpromo on it. When you running dcpromo select location for your log and AD database. When you will be asked select domain controller in existing domain and provide name of your domain. Install DNS service on your new machine too for service optimization. One thing before running dcpromo on your new machine is configure DNS, Gateway and subnet mask properly. Use your first domain controller as DNS on your new machine (if your first DC is running DNS)
              Your new additional DC is ready. In win2003 AD environment. The other domain controllers are called Additonal domain controller and these servers will servce in case of your first DC crash. ADC (additional domain controller) will have identical copy of your AD as your first domain controller. Host primary zones on your ADC for DNS. Do not configure DHCP on DC. It is not recomended practise.

Comment

biggest tip i can give

always first

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...ary+dc&spell=1

anything by
                "technet"/petri/exchangeteam.... can be trusted

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm
                Last edited by SML; 16th May 2008, 19:14.

Comment

Thanks you soo much for all your help Sirs, I really appreciate it..
                  Ronuel
                  MCP

Comment

Hi NonoRonuel,

I have created a STEP BY STEP document for setting up an additonal Domain Controller as a Replication Partner for redundancy.

Hope this will help.

Cheers,

Pankajb
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you so very much Sir Pankaj.. the steps you made were really helpful. I really Appreciate your help..
                      Ronuel
                      MCP

Comment

I have another question sirs.. I have already installed the BDC.. i was able to test loging in from a client computer to the BDC while my PDC turned off. the thing is i also have the DHCP server in the PDC and since i turned it of my client computer was not able to access internet anymore, obviously because it my DHCP server is off. Now i tried to install DHCP in the BDC but its giving me an error. So how do i install DHCP in my BDC? thanks
                        Ronuel
                        MCP

Comment

BDC's don't exist in Active Directory domains. They are just additional domain controllers.

You can't really setup DHCP for load balancing. Is your first server going offline permanently? If so just goto Add/Remove Programs and install the DHCP component. You can setup both servers to issue IP's but they would need to be issuing different IP's to each other.
                          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
                          X