70% of processor is red in Task Manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70% of processor is red in Task Manager

I have an older Windows 2000 Advance Server machine that runs two Pentium III processors. When I run Task Manager and look at Performance, under CPU usage, part of that self refreshing gadget is always red. When the server is under, say, 75% CPU usage, 70% + of what is green is red.

Any ideas why this would be and if I should be concerned?

Re: 70% of processor is red in Task Manager

"red" meaning kernel times?

On the "Processes" tab, sort by CPU descending and report which process(es) is(are) consuming the CPU.
    Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

SQL Server, aspnet_wp, and System Idle Process

Comment

System Idle Process aside, what kind of web site (aspnet_wp) are you running? And I take it the site talks to SQL Server? Just trying to see what load may have changed on your antique dual P3 (Tualatin?) system w/ 1GB of 133 MHz memory?
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

It is a dynamic data access application that uses SQL Server. All data access is performed through stored procedures. The server also houses three or four ASP.NET 1.1 applications.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingAce View Post
            It is a dynamic data access application that uses SQL Server. All data access is performed through stored procedures. The server also houses three or four ASP.NET 1.1 applications.
            Are you pulling a bunch of disk I/O with SQL Server? That may come across as kernel CPU. Do you know how to monitor that using PERFMON?

I had a dual Tualatin 1.26 GHz system w/ 1GB of PC133 RAM for a number of years. Finally retired it 2 years ago. Given the cheapest desktop will outperform your server, I'm wondering what your goal is in this exercise?
            Cheers,

Rick

Comment

I inherited this application from another programmer, so it is not the most efficient application. It didn't even utilize connection pooling. We are fixing that now. Anyway, I was just looking through Task Manager and saw the red and got concerned. I will use prefmon to look at SQL Server. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X