X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you have 2 netbios names on one server

Can you have 2 netbios names on one server

Re: Can you have 2 netbios names on one server

A server itself can have only one NetBIOS name. You can however "trick" other computers into thinking the server has multiple names by creating multiple DNS A records for the same server and make the server "listen" on those names. You could also create multiple lmhosts records for the same server.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 9th May 2008, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      A server itself can have only one NetBIOS name. You can however "trick" other computers into thinking the server has multiple names by creating multiple DNS A records for the same server and make the server "listen" on those names. You could also create multiple lmhosts records for the same server.
      Wait, do you mean records on the WINS server maybe??
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Well that too, but if I create a DNS A record for the server I can then make a registry change on the server that will make it "listen" on the single label part of the FQDN, which essentially is "like" giving the server another NetBIOS name.

Even though WINS and lmhosts are technically for NetBIOS names, the server and clients can be tricked into using another single label name using this method.
        Last edited by joeqwerty; 10th May 2008, 04:19.

Comment

Probably worth doing this too
          http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281308
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, that's the registry change I was referring to. I've had to do this and it effectively gives the server a second NetBIOS name in which to use in connecting to shares on the server using a single label name.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
              Probably worth doing this too
              http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281308
              That's the ticket.

Code:
              Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
              "DisableStrictNameChecking"=dword:00000001
              I often have my servers set up w/ an extra GbE NIC connected to a separate LAN for backups, interconnects, etc. If I wanted to push / pull files across both the general purpose LAN and the backup LAN, I'd have to use both \\server\share and \\w.x.y.z\share to select which path to use (or both paths if I'm trying to push a large amount of data in a minimum time).

With DisableStrictNameChecking, I'm now able to specify \\server\share and \\server_alt\share.
              Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

© 2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

I am trying to get users who print to server1 to print to server2. The share name for the printer is the same on both machines. The users are mapped to server1. I made a alias CNAME change in DNS for server1 to point to server2, and it does, I ping server1 and it gives me server 2's ippaddress. I then did the registry change [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters]
                "DisableStrictNameChecking"=dword:00000001) and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters\OptionaNames

as well

on server2. Now when I bring down server1 I'm thinking that a user will be able to print to server2 but when you go to print something it says 'access is denied, unable to connect. I rebooted the client and it says RPC server not available, when I tried to print.

Is there a certain way you need to put in server1's NetBIOS name?
                Last edited by bakbrad; 12th May 2008, 23:17.

Comment

We were required to setup a cold standby for printers so we have a cname for PRINT which in maps to PRINT1. PRINT2 is setup identically so we can just change which machine the cname maps to and users will eventually use that instead.

We didn't use this bit though.
                  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lanmanserver\parameters\OptionaNames

I would reboot the print server and check the permissions are correct. We used the printmig util from MS to copy the printers between the two so they should be identical.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
                  X